Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

Same here with Verbos.
Is’nt Metropolix +5-5V ? So you can reach 10V for Verbos ?
My last off topic, sorry

I only have the amp and tone, gate out to maths that spits out a 10v envelope to open the amp and tone.

1 Like

Shipping is free, I don’t think you’d see any benefit in trying to buy with someone else, just more logistics

Not entirely true - combining triggless locks with an external sequence allows for some really interesting creative sound design!

the elektron sequencer just ignore anything you write on the internal sequencer when there is an incoming midi signal, trigless locks included. So let’s say you want to p-lock your hi hats with a trigless trig and use an external sequencer, you can’t. (you can but the p-lock has no effect)

Something odd (and maybe interesting) can happen when there is a trigless trig between two midi messages, but this is not comparable to what you can achieve intentionally with the internal sequencer.

There’s that bug with the digitakt that transforms the digitakt in a small octatrack when sequenced externally, but that’s different.

Ah my mistake - I could have sworn I’ve had midi channels ‘interfere’ rather than take control of my tracks - going to have to experiment with that

1 Like

This looks fantastic but as an Oxi One owner I’m going to push back against the “Oxi One killer” narrative. The biggest difference is price: €529 vs €864 (excl. tax). It looks like you get a lot of functionality for that extra cost but it’s much more expensive!

Another difference is size, which matters to me since I don’t have a lot of space. Also, Oxi One has twice as many CV outputs (8 CV + 8 gate as compared to 4 + 4 on Hapax), which is a big deal for me since I’m primarily using it to sequence my modular. And don’t forget that you can directly sequence two midi devices if you get Oxi Split.

p.s. Another bonus is that Oxi One works as a Monome Grid!

10 Likes

Imagine the 128 pads had velocity and aftertouch like a LinnStrument. Does anyone know if the pads have any features like that?

Yeah, too bad. I know for sure because I tried when I wanted to sequence the AR from my modular.

Pretty hefty for such a small box

I’m also curious about this, so far I can’t get confirmation from the manual. Bit worried the pads aren’t velocity sensitive because of the implementation of the “drum” mode (you get 16 pads of different velocities for each of 8 different midi notes), but maybe it’s like the Push where you can use the velocity sensitive pads or have some fixed velocity pads in a different mode for more precision. Surely if it can do MPE sequences, the pads themselves have X, Y, Z MPE parameters (and that’s more advanced than velocity). But maybe not…

2 Likes

Anyone else think that 8 patterns per track is a bit small?
I almost always fill out all 16 patterns on my Elektrons.
Though, to be fair, “Track” seems a fairly ambiguous term these days. Not sure if “track” means a whole song or just one instrument slot (aka 8 tracks in Octatrack).

I don’t really understand why people would want velocity for such tiny pads. It’s never going to make for an “expressive” interface and would probably introduce more problems than it solves.

6 Likes

16 Patterns per Track would be better (future OS update?) but at least from using a Pyramid for a few months now, I’m rarely bumping up against even that number with the 32 Patterns it has per Track. Except with drum tracks. But maybe something about the way Hapax handles dedicated drum Tracks in its architecture will make that less of an issue? Waiting to see the hands-on videos.

Having an RD-9 with Mutes for each separate instrument could also be a live workaround, building up and breaking down drum parts that way rather than creating a new Pattern for all the changes. Either way, being able to load a new project while an existing project is still running makes it a no-brainer for me. I’ll work around the Patterns limits to get seamless uninterrupted live transitions

2 Likes

This is a beautiful looking box, but I agree @Smapti that it’s not an Oxi One killer depending on the reason for wanting to own the latter. I’m still waiting on my preorder but I am specifically excited for the Oxi One as a main sequencer for my studio but also for something I can take on a plane with an iPad. As well as messing with all of the weird forthcoming sequencing modes which the Squarp doesn’t seem to have.

4 Likes

whoa, would be crazy to find one for that price in Canada.

What’s with this Cirklon waiting list business? I’m sure this has been covered elsewhere, but it seems like they’re leaving cash on the table in a big way. ?? Kinda hope they get innovated out of their niche at this point. Go Squarp.

(Edit… sorry, don’t really mean to cheerlead … just really fucking hate a queue… too many Covid tests or something )

2 Likes

I’m sure they’d love to be pumping them out, but they’ve been hit hard by supply chain disruptions for their parts

1 Like

They have had a 4-5 year waiting list for way longer than covid and supply chain disruptions have been a thing. If they really wanted to pump them out they could have been set up to do it a long time ago. They are still finishing preorders from the end of 2017 right now and say it will be months before they even finish that.

They are definitely resting on their laurels and are for sure going to get passed up by new and innovative sequencers. I’m on team squarp here too!

4 Likes

The waiting list wasn’t 5yrs long until covid and there are plenty of other horror stories on their forum about causes for delays that aren’t worth regurgitating here. The wait (an I’m early 2018, so maybe not that much longer) has certainly pushed me to try the Hapax now, so I’m not disagreeing the Cirklon wait will have an impact on them unfortunately … it will and is. Beyond the wait, the Cirklon struggles with legacy baggage not unlike Ableton vs the clean slate of Bitwig. But, I’m certainly not going to root against a husband and wife small business team with a top-notch product. I hope both shops succeed beyond their wildest dreams

4 Likes