Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

@HBIII, Cirklon is really excels for making/managing complex compositions, you could use it to do live stuff but thats not were it excels

I donā€™t think so at all. If anything my rambling was just supporting that view. Although Iā€™ve been entirely ITB in the past I find it really hard to just start a song with a blank song template in Ableton. I generally start with a bit of hardware but itā€™s because of the interface and especially the Elektron approach. The Hapax strikes me as offering the same (if not more!!) of a similar starting point for generating ideas.

5 Likes

A very nice surprise on my porch after a meeting.

7 Likes

Cool, so far Hapax is somewhere on the scale between a flaming bag of dog poop and Heidi Klum with the wrong address for a halloween party.*

*who am I kidding, if Heidi did show up sheā€™d better have a Hapax and a consignment note.

3 Likes

Mine was shipped but says next Wednesday. Usually DHL is faster than that so expecting it maybe by Mondayā€¦so excited.

1 Like

Arrived today in Cali! First impressions are great. Plugged in a synth and drum module and was able to get them MIDI assigned and playing in minutes. Itā€™s very intuitive to find your way around without any manual reading. The grid pads feel really nice and are easy to play with musical results.

1 Like

Love the dimensions and format of the Hapax. Wish the Push 2 had more in common with it, in that regard.

3 Likes

Has anyone used it with an OT?

1 Like

I donā€™t have my OT on the table, but I have the Hapax talking nicely to an MRCC- > Megacommand -> Machinedrum. If I got the OT out is there any specific thing you are looking for?

How would you go about getting a sliced drum break sequenced in live/step mode?

Wuuuut!

2 Likes

Set the midi mapping mode to slices and then just step program on that channel via the hapax?

But I can certainly drop it on the table and check!

1 Like

First impressions of Ron Cavagnaro

1 Like

Very disappointing / weird that you canā€™t preview notes in step view.

I think he needs to turn off YouTube and play with it some more. Yes, itā€™ll be different to the Delugeā€¦Iā€™ll wait forLoopops commentary.

13 Likes

The step view ā€˜issueā€™ is something easily fixable in a firmware update.

The Hapaxā€™s similarity to the Deluge is going to be a problem for Squarp because a lot of people seem to be expecting it to BE a Deluge and then getting irritated when it isnā€™t.

I hadnā€™t even thought of this as an issue until Ron started threatening to sell his Hapax over it in the Squarp forum. Note preview would be a good thing to add as long as it can be turned on/off, but Iā€™d encourage those concerned with this to play with loop points a bit before they get too upset.

1 Like

yeah, I donā€™t understand the drama ā€¦

if you use the momentary live feature, you can preview notesā€¦ so its not like its impossible to enter notes :wink:
itā€™s just a different workflow ā€¦ and one that Squarp will no doubt adapt/extend in the weeks/months to come.

sure, its important feature for SOME, but of course, every user will have different priorities e.g. for others more patterns, or longer track lengths are importantā€¦

its v1 of a brand new product, there will be issues/bugs, there will be ā€˜missing featuresā€™ , thats the normal thing for the start of the journey on any product. (esp for smaller companies).
But this is where Squarpā€™s reputation for continual improvements is important, and why many jumped on board even before seeing a single demo/reviewā€¦ they inspire confidence :slight_smile:

of course, if thats a problem ā€¦ then probably you should wait a few months, let it mature a littleā€¦ see more reviews etc.

2 Likes

I think this shows how people generalize from the tools on which they learn. It would never occur to me to need that feature. The sequencers I haveā€”Octatrack and Vectorā€”donā€™t do it. Iā€™m not criticizing working that wayā€”that would be like telling someone they are playing guitar wrong when theyā€™re playing piano.

Itā€™s just interesting how people project and then get worked up about it. Iā€™m sure I will be looking for things that arenā€™t there when I get mine, too.

That said, the idea of a synthfluencer ā€œthreateningā€ to sell something that doesnā€™t work for them personally is laughable.

10 Likes

I think the thing is , unlike piano/guitar ā€¦ pretty much all sequencers have different workflowsā€¦ there are very few (if any) standards on what they should do, look or operate.

Personally, I think you start with a clean design, clean workflow thats logical/consistentā€¦
of course later you can add shortcuts, perhaps inspired by features/shortcuts from other products IF they fit the UXā€¦ things evolve over time.

rather than try to design a product that just tries to have every feature from any other product, some how illogically glued togetherā€¦
Unknown

5 Likes

Do you own a Cirklon as well?