Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

cup holders are cool though.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree with you. Another thing people keep complaining about is that the pads are not velocity sensitiveā€¦ But I never hear anyone complain that the buttons on a cirklon are not velocity sensitive :grin:

5 Likes

That was painful to watch. Really looking forward to the loopop thing.

6 Likes

OXI One also has variable glide for cv outs. Thereā€™re a few things that are usually made on eurorack itself that seemed more convenient to have on the sequencer, even if it wasnā€™t how things were done before, like envelopes, LFOs, bipolar offsets, glides (slew) and so. In the sequencer you can more dynamically link MIDI parameters to those cv parameters in order to save cables and modules used plus all the performability a 128 grid machine gives.

Disclaimer: Iā€™m behind the development of the modular integration on the OXI One, being OXI Pipe and the CV performative layout. Anyway Iā€™m really excited to see Hapax as a reality and Iā€™m sure they are different enough to shine on their own :slight_smile: Canā€™t wait to try one myself!

9 Likes

Yeah Ron is being very obnoxious about this, saying stuff like ā€œI just want a functional step sequencerā€, like itā€™s completely broken, when it just doesnā€™t fit his playstyle. Just accept that youā€™re going to have to adapt, wait or sell and move on, donā€™t bash Squarp because they donā€™t have the exact same workflow as you.

EDIT: I retract this statement, read some of his later comments and heā€™s taking it way better. Good stuff!

3 Likes

the bigger grid will be an improvement from the pyramid.
although the pyramid sequencer is super powerfull it is too complicated for my taste for
live situations. this looks even more complicated;
i found that the elektron sequencers and the deluge sequencer are a lot more playable iand intuitive, but idk, tastes differ.
besides the grid the 4x (16bit) CV-outs is the feature that looks most interesting to me atm.

curious to see this in a proper review hand but atm i donā€™t see any feature atm that make it a must have for me.

I started watching but when he said: ā€œThis is the first time Iā€™m using my Hapaxā€, I thought to myself no way Iā€™m going to watch almost 2 hours of someone figuring out for the first time how to do stuff.

Seems like I dodged a bulletā€¦

10 Likes

Hahahaā€¦yeah, I skimmed through it with the hope to get some more substantial info. What a waste of time.

Mine arrived in LA yesterday. Wow.

I really love(d?) the pyramid but I gotta say, Hapax makes pyramid feel pretty primitive. Just basics like editing a live recording are so trivial with the Hapax and just immediately the drum programming is so much more advanced. Iā€™m not sure I can go back. Iā€™m sure there are some things it excels at that Hapax canā€™t do as easily but nothing is really coming to mind.

(It also has me expecting more from my electron sequencers). Great work Squarp.

6 Likes

Itā€™s more that itā€™s powerful, itā€™s not that complicated. Thanks to the patterns screen, itā€™s very easy to switch patterns & mute / unmute tracks on the fly, and there are a number of other features you could incorporate quite easily into a live set, Iā€™d say, not the least of which is the ability to run two projects simultaneously. I think some people are going to do some really impressive live sets with the Hapax.

Having a grid layout makes things feel a lot easier to me than an Elektron sequencer. Squarp has a bit of work to do on trig conditions, but theyā€™ve got it mostly dialed in already.

3 Likes

This is nice, if I think this is correct, you can get a linear sequenced elektron sequencer if you combined this with the Hapax step mode.

The cirklon Is a step sequencer at its Heart, nobody plays a step sequencer.
Hapax is a piano roll sequencer and the buttons are there to be played.
Your comparison doesnā€™t make sense.
Iā€™d have expected the buttons to be velocity sensitive in 2022 on a 1k sequencer like on the ableton push (2014).

Itā€™s not a dealbreaker though, Iā€™ve ordered It and Iā€™m waiting for the 2nd batch.

Thatā€™s not a question of the year, itā€™s a question of possibilities. You compare 2 buttons where one is 4 times or more bigger than the other. To have precise working sensors you need space. That is why all the devices with that sized buttons are not velocity sensitive.

3 Likes

No. Do what you feel Is right for you. Having a tactile experience is crucial in music. You can map your vsts and jam :slightly_smiling_face:, Iā€™ll do the same.

Valid point, I donā€™t know much about this kind of technical things.
Still the cirklon comparison makes no sense. I mean, itā€™s perfectly understandable, imho, if people expected these buttons to be velocity sensitive.

I think if velocity sensitivity was possible on this size pads currently, then the Launchpad Mini mk3 would have it. Hoā€™up. Isnā€™t the Oxi velocityology?

No oxi isnā€™t velocity sensitive and the fact that loopop list this missing feature as a con make me think that Is a matter of production cost.

Atom sq has pressure sensitive pads and dimensions are pretty much the same.

I have not found anything about that on their website. If it is that way, they totally forgot to mention it.
There seem to be a dedicated knob for global velocity, that would not be there if you had velocity sensitive pads.
The mini mk3 buttons are bigger. Hydrasynth has buttons around that size and those are velocity and aftertouch sensitive.

At the end it does not matter what people expect if itā€™s technically not possible or the estimated cost increase would not make sense.

I didnā€™t say that it matters, I said itā€™s understandable if people expect velocity sensitive pads on a sequencer like hapax and not on a step sequencer like cirklon.

Atom sq has small pressure sensitive pads though.

And still Atom SQ buttons are noticeable bigger.