Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

what i’m saying is for CC-7 (volume) i didn’t have to touch anything on the MPC. i just assigned that value to the encoder on Hapax and the plugin track was automatable directly. can’t speak to other parameters but that was my experience the one time so far i’ve tried to use Automation

ive been trying for a few hours and cant seem to figure it out,
midi learn doesnt seem to work with hapax for whatever reason
if anyone can figure it out please let me know!!!

I have a chance to trade my Oxi one plus some dollars for the Hapax next week. Realistically I would keep both for a while but I think that might be more trouble than it’s worth creativity wise. Does anybody have some thoughts and input on this? Pros and Cons so to speak.

I’ve enjoyed the Oxi Chord mode and Harmonizer but found some of the sequencing moments a bit tricky to grasp.

Never used the oxi. But I love my hapax chord mode. It’s so easy to write a melody once you understand the placement of variations along with your chord progressions. It reminds me of my mad catz arcade fight stick. I look at what’s in front of me and I execute with my hands

1 Like

The screen for setting up midi learn in the MPC is just incredibly unintuitive so it isn’t just you.

The way I’ve done it is:

• go into the Mpc midi learn screen
  • choose the parameter and set it to wait for a new midi cc
  • set one of the encoders on the Squarp to send my desired midi cc
  • twiddle the encoder for a second so the MPC picks it up

I’ve been toying with the idea of setting up an MPC template that has a bunch of stuff like filters and envelopes pre-mapped

Yeah, same on the Akai Force. Would have been so cool if they would just add another Selectbox so you could just select the value…

1 Like

I’ve figured out this must be done but it does not work for me.

Are you using usb to connect?

Are you using the assign screen on hapax (2nd and fill and set cc) to twiddle the knob?

What midi channel are you using etc?

I tried for hours and gave up because mpc would not learn my movements on hapax nothing happens

This should obviously be there but yet it is not

Sorry but can you please explain this?
Have you actually got this to work?

Oh yeah, I use this all the time once I got it working. I think I have the MPC set to track and control, but not global for the Squarp USB midi input.

I can’t remember the command on the Squarp to get into live midi control - 2nd plus automation maybe? And then I pull up the MPC midi learn, pick a midi cc to assign to one of the Squarp encoders, and twiddle it to output it, locking in the midi learned cc on the MPC side. Then you can use it for automation, LFOs, etc.

2 Likes

2d + Fill

1 Like

For whatever reason I can never remember that or find it in the manual. I think because it doesn’t fit into the track/pattern/etc way of organizing things.

Anyway, using the Squarp and MPC is - not bad, I’d love it if someone released a version of an old school rack sampler that was excellent at being externally sequenced. I’ve thought about checking out the blackbox as a companion to the Squarp since I don’t use many of the bells and whistles on the MPC.

i tried Blackbox with Pyramid and it’s fine for triggering loops etc. quick as anything to get a sample into memory, but my brief experience with it was trying to sync anything other than a perfectly trimmed 4/4 loop got messy. and compared to MPC’s 8x16 pad banks per program . . . it’s at best an MPC Mini Lite in the 16 pads only workflow (even though each pad can do multisamples or mapped one shots). it feels like you really only maximize everything Blackbox has to offer when you’re sequencing it all fully inside the box

New Hapax owner here! Posted on the Squarp forum first, but it’s less active than here.

I’m curious if anyone can comment on the feel of the pads versus other grid based devices - Force, Push, Deluge, etc.

I’ve owned a Deluge, Push 2, and Akai Force. I expected the pads on the Hapax to respond to touch similar to those, but my Hapax requires noticeably more effort to push - it’s more like a button than a pad. It’s not a lot, but it’s enough to make it less playable than those other devices. Is this everyone’s experience? Trying to figure out if it’s expected or if I have a unique unit.

Also have other UI/workflow thoughts and questions (and a few error screens already!) but the pad feel really surprised me.

They feel great to me, they are not velocity sensitive so they are more like buttons than mpc pads

1 Like

Deluge user since 2019. Just picked up the Hapax.

I much prefer the pads on the Hapax. They are less squishy and there is less travel, so I find them to be way more reactive for playing fast particularly.

Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Instock at Juno

3 Likes

Anyone use the hapax with another sequencer plugged into it? I was thinking about getting the torso t1 and was wondering if I could just plug that straight into the USB-A port on the back of the hapax…

I think I’m going to use the chord generation from the hapax and save the steps onto the cirklon v2. Yes it’s overkill but if you got the firepower why not ?

I do that. It works perfectly.
Unfortunately I don’t have enough room on my desk so I have to put the T-1 on top of my MPC 1000, which means it usually doesn’t stay that long. So I just record the midi on the Hapax when there’s something I like and put it away again. Couldn’t be easier.

1 Like