SSL fusion

I hate dsub cables.

But I guess you’re right :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Haha. Me too. It’s what’s made hold off getting a SiX again and think about getting a Big Six lol.

You could get some made to your spec though, if your not using everything that’s available on the dsubs. Would make them a little less unwieldy. The fusion will need the XLR connectors, but everything else I needed to plug in ran on TRS. Maybe I should try the XLR to TRS adapters you can get this time. Like this

Hosa do a cheep DSUB to the same Tascam spec

1 Like

Easy solution: get the Big Six. No dsub cables required. :wink:

1 Like

Actually, I am considering trading the SiX and Fusion to a Big Six. The three-band eq per channel and additional compressor settings goes a long way to reach a mastering sound. For the kind of music I do, the Drive, HPF filter and low end boost make a difference, but not a huge one. The Violet EQ, however, is a silver bullet, as is the stereo image effect. And I kind of like the Phil Collins compressor.

But I’m thinking, with the additional spread and three-band eq from the SiX, the enhanced compressor and inserts for external boards such as the CXM for example, I’m wondering if maybe that’s just a better fit for me.

And no, I can’t afford to keep the Fusion with the Big Six, so I heard you but that’s a no :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excuse my mixer ignorance. You would need two dsubs to accomplish this? One for send the other for return?

Correct, one for inputs and the other for outputs.

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately. But it does open up a whole load of other options when you have the dsubs

1 Like

Oh man. I get you, but I’m not sure I can ever say goodby to the fusion.

1 Like

I take it that the Fusion is great on the master bus to polish final mixes. However, does it also add enough color as a creative sound-shaping tool for resampling material? Wondering if this could also replace a Boum or Heat for me…

Its great, but it hasn’t got the gain/saturation levels of the Heat/Boum. I wouldn’t say it could replace either of those personally. Only if you only use them VERY subtly.

1 Like

Nope it can’t, not for that purpose.

It brings out parts of your mix you maybe never even noticed was there, but it’s not a sound design tool by any means.

With no dsubs, I’m thinking SiX cue out, into the Fusion, Fusion back into Ext inputs and just route it to all SiX channels. That’s how I do with external fx and it works fine.

Any drawbacks with this that you guys can think of?

Was also wondering where to place it on a Big Six…on the main bus inserts (so it’s either on or off on the master bus) or on the bus b routed back to the main bus (so you can select the channels you want to send there)?

1 Like

I think it is perfect on the inserts. I can’t think of a reason to only use it on some channels and not the entire mix.

SSL did a sale awhile ago where fusion owners were able to buy the different fusion plugins for $9.99 each. I had never given the ssl plugins much thought, but thought heck, why not for $9.99.

Well… the plugins I have used so far are great. The stereo image one is the best stereo image plugin I have used, it adds no phase etc. issues. Sounds even better than the izotope imager I have been using. And the transformer plugin is actually a lot better than the transformer in the hardware (which is EXTREMELY subtle). It is the most realistic sounding “saturation” plugin I have tried for just a bit of saturation on the individual tracks. Like running them through a console.

This sale was a good move on SSL’s part as it makes me wonder if their plugins are actually all this good. Not worth $199 each, but if they go on sale again definitely take a look at them!

2 Likes

Well that’s good to know, maybe I will give them a shot someday. Last year they were having a sale on the channel strip and Bus Comp plugs and I picked those up. I think they are quality, and worth giving a shot if they are on sale.

1 Like

Yeah, I have had those for a while, good channel strip and bus compressor (probably the best of the ssl channel strip and bus compressor plugins), but lately I have been using the PA elysia museq and mpressor plugins as a kind of channel strip. Haven’t done a direct shootout though.

1 Like

Wanted to ask here actually, how do fusion owners feel the plugins stack up in comparison?

Is it clearly a different product for a different crowd or is it a true emulation worth the consideration?

I’ve long used izotope but with the exception of trash I’ve never loved them musically, great for repairs when needed for work. I have the channel strip and bus comp plug-ins and they feel great but would love to know if I have to buy an actual fusion or not hahah

1 Like

I don’t really think of the fusion plugins in the same way as I think of the fusion hardware. The fusion hardware I use as the first piece of outboard gear in my mastering chain. I don’t ever use it while mixing. The plugins I use during mixing and while some are awesome (the stereo width and the transformer one), others I don’t think anyone should actually buy (the violet eq is just a totally linear digital eq… no saturation or analog modeling or anything). But I really think they are their own thing and shouldn’t really be compared to the fusion.

3 Likes

Just seen you’ve sold the Fusion. Any feedback as to why you’ve parted with it?
It’s on my list and trying to persuade myself that I don’t need to save up the extra for a Silver Bullet instead…