Stand-alone nanoloop hardware!

:+1:t3:

1 Like

Anyone have issues with volume ? My unit seems a bit quiet in fact very quiet…

Have you adjusted the volume? I don’t think there is a physical switch - you press y and a/b to turn up and down according to the manual

1 Like

Got mine today!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGjZnxVBj1J/

Initial thoughts:

• Parameters are a lot less extreme than on nanoloop 2. Hopefully Oliver finds a way to have more than 8 steps of LFO speed / depth, because a huge part of my sound design in nanoloop uses audio-rate LFOs.
  • Of course, there are undocumented features; it’s basically to be expected at this point. I managed to find the random/pingpong play modes (B+Y on the tempo screen), which I can’t find in the manual.
  • It’s a lot nicer in the hands than I expected, for something that is a bare PCB + acrylic. Also, the bare LEDs don’t annoy me as much as I thought.
  • The UI is strange though. I’m worried there won’t be any more than 8 steps for the LFO frequency, simply because there isn’t enough space on the parameter section of the “screen” to show more than 8 levels. Maybe there’ll be a fast mode someday…?
  • It’s definitely an early firmware. I probably wouldn’t be playing live sets with it just yet. In my first go with it I managed to make an empty pattern play a huge kick once every four bars that was louder than everything else. The only way to stop it was to put a dummy note on a step. Not sure what happened there…
  • I hate AAA batteries. I wonder how long they last in this device though. It seems pretty efficient.
  • It’s not loud enough, even on max volume.

It’s obviously got some way to go before it ends up being even on the same level as nanoloop 2, but I think it’s a good start. I’m keen to see how it develops, especially if it ends up being able to actually sequence external gear…

5 Likes

Cool, how about some tutorial videos ? Mines been stuck on the shelf waiting for someone to show me how to use it :slight_smile:

The red is a good choice too :slight_smile:

Might do a stream at some point :slight_smile: There are loose plans to do a stream on a chiptune meetup this Saturday (probably Friday night in most other places), will post here if I end up doing that.

4 Likes

Cool sounds good. Thank you.

What number were you in the queue? I’m around 600. I’m trying to find out the progress for the shipping of orders.

I was backer #96. It got sent on the 27th of September, so he’s probably a fair way through the sending process by now.

2 Likes

Just received shipping # on mine. Shipping to US, so mine will take some time. I will continue to wait patiently :relieved:

1 Like

Congrats! Do you know what backer number you were? Can’t wait for this :grin:

2 Likes

Backer #98. Mine is probably taking long because I’m US and on the Westcoast

2 Likes

Yeah, he mentioned that the US packages are travelling by sea rather than air for some reason. I’m pretty amazed that mine got to me in less than 4 weeks, considering the postal system in Melbourne is under a lot of stress at the moment.

2 Likes

How you liking it so far @pselodux?

I don’t have much to add beyond what I said above, but I’ve managed to find some nice sounds already. In particular, the “filter” FM mode seems to use FM feedback when on the highest settings, and is exploitable with an LFO to get even more extreme. Example:

The sound at the beginning is just the “S” track playing staccato chords, with an LFO to FM amount making that scratchy noise.

I’m hoping more exploits like this will emerge once the firmware becomes more advanced!

6 Likes

same, still waiting at 45 :frowning:

1 Like

Where you located?

Quick mod. A bit of electrical tape so the LEDs aren’t as dazzling. They’re not bad, but they’re so tiny that I get a bit distracted by them. I might eventually 3D print something (a prism of sorts) that sits in between the PCB and acrylic top, but this will do for now…

5 Likes

I wonder how well roughing up the surface would work as a diffuser.

It’s too far away from the LEDs, I think. I tried with masking tape over the acrylic, but it ended up being too blurry.