Stereo BBD delay with line level inputs?

Looking for a new delay. Analog BBD, stereo in and out, line level ins for synths.

Don’t want loads of options, just one really nice sound will do me. I love the delay on the Matriach… guess I could run into that but a separate pedal or rack would be nicer.

Found this:
https://www.runwayproaudio.com/roxdon_bbd-echo.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjwiY6MBhBqEiwARFSCPsqoUwiXFcbk7UNdfWlZvsXUBIkUCxlTnlqgq1Oudg3JauoxrdDm6xoC2LwQAvD_BwE
But no idea what they’re like…. And it’s mono. But looks interesting.

Would be nice if it could do a Chorus as well. Eventide Rose looks ok but I’m guessing that’s digital.

Curious about this as well.
Carbon copy deluxe on each channel. I’ve considered this.

Stereo BBDs all in one unit are gonna be hard to find, I was looking too once and didn‘t really find anything reasonable.

Ended up eviscerating two Boss DM2w pedals and put them in a new housing. I think they sound very nice and take synths and drum machines pretty well.

Strymon’s Brigadier might fit the bill. Not analog but everything Strymon does sounds lovely:

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys.

So whys a analog stereo BBD so hard to find?

And if it must be mono, what ones are worth a look with line level in?

1 Like

There’s this - not sure if it’ll handle line level (the manual says input impedance 1MΩ):

2 Likes

Source Audio Nemesis has a BBD Delay emulation.

The Analog delay engine beautifully achieves the resonant peaks combined with high and low frequency decay that typifies classic bucket brigade delay pedals.

2 Likes

The more I read I think it’s something to do with BBD not taking line levels well. The one I linked to above has a lot going on to get it to work, certainly not going to fit into a pedal….

Looks like that one is mono input stereo output

1 Like

Hmm, yes it does…

There are BBDs in the modular world and modular levels are usually higher than line levels.

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s good to know…

1 Like

Forgot to mention that the Source Audio Nemesis has Line Level.

1 Like

Also easy to do stereo BBD in eurorack, just hook up some faders (attenuverter with inbuilt voltage source) to control both sides.

1 Like

I’ve had a number of digital delays that replicate analog to be honest. The Moog Matriarchs delay has been a real eye opener, it’s just lovely. I think if I’m going to get another pedal or rack, it’s got to be analog.

2 Likes

Yeah, emulations are getting increasingly good, especially in the recent years, still real analog delays are something else.

1 Like

In that case two :

Moog Moogerfooger MF-104M Analog Delay

Pricey and maybe hard to find, though.

1 Like

As far as mono analog delays go, the Yamaha E1010 is pretty excellent… a buddy of mine got one recently and I am really impressed by it.

OTO BIM has been on my list of things to try, lot of analog in its signal path and a vintage style 12bit digital delay which is stereo, something to consider in my opinion despite not being BBD imo.

I came across this https://www.fluxeffects.com/slipstream but I don’t really know much about it, couldnt find any videos of synths being used with it. But it seems to be a stereo i/o BBD pedal.

For what it is worth sending a big stereo pad into a mono delay through a send and hearing them at the same time sounds excellent and the pad itself doesn’t really sound less “stereo” having a centered delay. I think more often stereo delay enhances a mono signal by giving it a stereo field, but I assume running stereo into stereo can lead to some really great results also.

1 Like

Mentioned it earlier in the thread but the carbon copy deluxe is worth checking out. It’s mono but all analog with line level switch. It has been paired with a sub phatty for years in my studio and I never get tired of it. Don’t see it mentioned much on this board.

Use a lot of emulations in digital pedals as well but totally agree that the real deal is a special thing.

1 Like

About 800€ + case. Erica Synths Pico Input (line level to modular level), dual Erica Black BBD (which has lfo already built in) multiple, Noise Engineering Lapsus OS (to control both delays) and Happy Nerding stereo mixer.

Or smaller and cheaper, about 480€ + case.

Pico Input, dual Pico BBDs, Acid Rain Technology Navigator for simultaneous control of time on both delays, multiple and mixer.

3 Likes