Stereo sampler in DT form factor?

It actually is a mystery to me why so many samplers are mono today. Is there a technical reason for this? I could understand why my Roland W-30 was limited to mono samples back in 1989, but it’s mind-boggling that samplers sold in 2023 are still largely mono.

1 Like

Fake round robin attempt with lfo on slots…(saw)

8 Likes

I guess that’s because sounds are usually mono and thus nobody thinks about all the cool things that coud be done … like using room samples, especially when the build-in effects aren’t that amazing.

1 Like

and it sounds deliciously yummie, but what does “fake” mean? :wink:

1 Like

You have a Syntakt, so there’s your external distortion? :wink:

no, because i need the distortion inside of the Syntakt :wink:

OT can do linear slice locks on your trigs, that would be the closest I can think of right now.
You could also consider modular as you have a small one.
Morphagene and a sequencer maybe.

2 Likes

The distortion and bitcrush is good on the MPC, the only thing which sucks is the reverb, youre in berlin, they might float around cheaply 2nd hand. Its good for that dnb, schranz thing, where you slice this breaks, or slice old metal/punk tracks for really spicing up the noise level.

In the case of the Digitakt, I can understand the decision to use mono samples, since it’s a drum-oriented sampler.

Actually, if I could only choose one of two new features for the DT:

1. stereo sampling/playback
  2. sampling quantized loops

I would go with 2). It really bothers me that I can’t precisely sample internally, more so than the lack of stereo sampling. Of course, the obvious solution for both of these is to use the Octatrack with the DT :wink:

1 Like

Another idea for the round robin : still using an lfo on slots, set lfo speed to 0 during silences : this should block slot change till next note, having normal lfo speed. Requires some lock trigs copy/pastes…

1 Like

I was just thinking along similar lines, but maybe simpler when the right LFO numbers go:

LFO 1 is a ramp or saw at speed zero, free running, to sample slot.
LFO 2 is a half-cycle square set to LFO speed, triggering with each note: each time it plays, it nudges LFO 1 to the next slot… (this could also work with a sample chain and start points in theory…)

@Jeanne I think that’s the way to play 1 sample on beat 1.1 and always the next at 1.7 or 1.11, or whatever, as you mention above.

Now, to work out the speeds and depths in that solution …

1 Like

btw., here an example for software luxury:

apTrigga3 by apulSoft - highly recommended btw. (Edit: Even though it’s original purpose is as a real-time trigger, it can be used as a sampler via midi and it’s great for my usage.)

Allows not only for round robin (called sequence here), but also “random without repetition”, which is what I always choose.

“Layers are randomly selected for playback, but a layer is never played back twice in a row.” (from the manual)

1 Like

when i was choosing my first hardware sampler between blackbox and digitakt, i went with blackbox because on paper it does more, but i ended up mostly using it for things that digitakt can do, minus the multisamples and storage space.

think once im able to go out more to grab some sounds, BB is going to get more rewarding.

thinking about all the ways i could route lfos on DT really makes me wanna give it a shot in the future too.

what are you planning to use stereo for @Jeanne ?

also reading about this robin thing. BB can playback random slices from a single file, if that helps.

Whoops, I misunderstood your question. Editing …

• field recordings
  • stuff that has already good stereo information etc.
  • recorded effects or wet effects to slap on the sound of another track … (similarily to room samples)
  • steal sounds with effects from other synths (like Opsix)

Also I really love to distort reverb and delay and I do it all the time on the Syntakt …

All that works of course by exporting a stereo pair and hardpanning them on two channels on the Digitakt.

No prob with the Digitakt (random lfo -> slot trick), but round robin isn’t random …

1 Like

Seems pretty close to round robin with that.

6 Likes

The mad professor and PhD of OT strikes again :raised_hands:t3::muscle:t3::fist:t3:

1 Like

gotcha, i see what you mean now.

Im going to cut it real short and say that as someone who has BB and listens to your music, it probably aint it. On paper it can do most things you want, minus cool playback options and sound colorings, but its just too slow, even if you know your way around.

in regards to having bus FX built into a device id argue that its better to have a smaller device with a pedal of your choice sitting next to it. You can swap out samples depending on mood and taste, but not built in FX.

curious to hear what you think about BB if you ever get a chance to try it out tho :v:

1 Like

Stereo sampler in DT form factor? :content:

8 Likes

Just confirming from the M8 fanclub that you can have both strict round robin and random playback of slices (or program a pseudo-random playback) via tables. No master overdrive/distortion, though you can get a bit of edge with mixer levels and the master limiter

3 Likes

Definitely not with the sound colouring options, they would have to be baked into the samples or done externally. BB does have some fairly vanilla reverb and delay, and good master eq options.

However just in terms of round robin samples, it can be done pretty quickly. If you have all your snare variation samples in a single wav file, load it to a pad, auto slice it, and then you can set the play back to trigger each slice forwards, backwards, random and stagger. You can also have up to 128 slices per pad so you could in theory go reasonably extreme with this.

2 Likes