Stimming OT review

The recording quality is not great too!

If you plug an OT direct into a mixer/PA, it will not sound as ā€˜goodā€™ as the mastered recordings a DJ is playing out. Surgeon plugs his into a BOUM, Cenk used an AH, Stimming uses his own thing. This is to bring up the perceived loudness where it can then try and compete with recorded playbackā€¦
OT sound issues? With sample packs dedicated to 12bit sampler crunch, itā€™s not something I lose sleep over.

7 Likes

Elektron cleams they make premium quality products. The OT is their flagship and has become more expensive over years since the release of the OT.

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 12.34.34

Hereā€™s what I paid:
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 12.39.22

I used the OT for many years and I expect premium sound quality with this reasoning from the OT. Unfortunately the OT does not meet my requirements, so I sold the OT.

Quote from elektron: ā€œWhen you come into contact with an Elektron instrument, your particular sound emerges. This is what matters. Designed to the highest standards, assembled by hand and tested exhaustively before being sent out worldwideā€

" No compromises Quality is in everything we do. Engineering to the highest standards and beautiful industrial designs make our three year warranty come as no surprise. An Elektron creation is a lasting investment."

1 Like

To me it seems the deliberate choice of offering this vast flexibility on the Octatrack is often misunderstood. Itā€™s like a blank canvas and you have everything on your desk from watercolours to pencils, oil paint to gouache, charcoal, all sorts of brushes etcā€¦ itā€™s up to you in which direction you go which also burdens you with all the work.

The often not so much loved effects can go in so many directions, though even a ā€˜simpleā€™ nice sounding flanger needs an lfo set up.

Itā€™s no secret, that I love my OT as much as I love my AR and AK and try to clear up misconceptions whenever possible. Actually the reason I joined this forum was, because I wanted to help users understand the Octatrack better - anyways, reading all those comments, one might get the impression, that Elektron went too far with their vision combining vast flexibility with an intuitive, playable layout - but I honestly think they nailed it and with a little work (reading the manual, practise) the OT will open up for anyone willing to put in the hours.

There are so many ways in which you can make the OT ā€˜yoursā€™. Combine it with a knob per function synth, set up a midi controller for more ā€˜hands onā€™ playability (OT sends all parameter values on a midi cc command - no value jumps!), combine it with external fx, combine it whatever features you might missā€¦

17 Likes

Not necessarily. Actually a 1010music Blackbox on steroĆÆd (modulations + better sequencer) would make me happier. :slight_smile: :+1:

Meanwhile people intentionally degrade sound for effect. :man_facepalming:t6:

If the box ainā€™t for you, donā€™t use it.

5 Likes

I appreciate these observations more than most people think.

Elektron is one of my most favorite instrument makers, no doubt about that. Aside from all the statements, letā€™s give it another turn to make it more clear what we really get from hardware sampler makers in general. So take all the different hardware samplers that are available today in the 800-1500 Euro/Dollar price range.

Now something that most of us are not aware of to get a better perspective. Take a close look at which parts are used exactly on this Sound Devices MixPre-6 II and you see quite a lot of similarities that you find also on hardware samplers. A hardware sampler just has more knobs and buttons and bigger sample memory. Overal itā€™s quite the same and yes there is even a powerful ARM processor inside this portable mixer/recorder.

1 Like

I already said that it doesnā€™t bother me enough to affect the usage but id be much more useful if it had OB so I could use fx in the box so i use its fx out of convenience

1 Like

Reply was from your post. Not direct at you, but for all to read. M
Soā€¦for those that donā€™t like the sound, donā€™t use it. Just like I hate guitars, Iā€™m not gonna buy.

1 Like

Agree! But we can moan a bitā€¦ right? After spending 1300 euros? Itā€™s not a black/white situation! ā€¦ like, use it or not. Why wouldnā€™t Elektron make their machines better?! Why should we deliberately avoid being critical about their products? We, the people, should say our expectations, to them and to any other firm that depends on us actually! They need our money. I can make music with anything but the market has its expectations and im just a part of that market.

So, i could, as some ppl do, wait to see their next move/release and if they donā€™t make the right move (according to my personal selfish interests) open a YouTube channel just to shit about their equipment. Ppl do that about many products and thatā€™s their right, which is bizarre imo! But i have a feeling that we canā€™t say anything here! Almost anything is a problem! I mean, posts get flagged for insignificant reasons! Ive never seen it anywhere else on the netā€¦ except on some really delusional sites.

And itā€™s always the same ppl that defend Elektron like itā€™s their fatherā€™s

4 Likes

In comparison to the Digitakt the OT sounds worse for me. I still love it.

But it could get some FX updates maybe to compensate? Is the Digi-CPU way better? I dislike all the FXs tbh (in comparison to the Digiā€™s FXs). But they have their charme. By the wayā€¦ itā€™s the first time I read that some of the FXs come to life with the LFO ā€“ first time I have read this ā€“ so thx for mentioning that ā€“ will try that out!

Maybe I should just spend another 750ā‚¬ for an AH. But only when itā€™s bugfixed (OB audio dropouts).

I meanā€¦ whatā€™s the reason the Digitakt sounds so nice in comparison? The Overdrive? Sound processing?

My 5 cents.

1 Like

Ya I think itā€™s weird. People are so entitled. ā€œMake it for meā€. F*** O**. I think requests are fine. But within reason.

Iā€™m just used to buying something cuz of what it is, and using it for what it does. Not cuz of what I want it to do. Thatā€™s just me tho.

Ohā€¦Digitaktā€¦MIDI retrig PLEASE :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Iā€™ll request that as long as I own it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agree! My request for Elektron is to make products that are more quality. Nothing else!

:man_facepalming:t5:

I hope you donā€™t own any B
Shit falls apart.

The low cost products?!

Double standard I guess
Iā€™m done.

:man_facepalming:

Why is the OT so polarizing? The OT acts like an emotional halo effect machine, helping selling all the other Elektron boxes.

1 Like

All great works of art have both fans as well as detractors.

10 Likes

Out of curiosity, what sample rates are you using with MixPre-6 II?