Strokes (VST/iOS)

Anyone tried Strokes? " Strokes is an all-in-one, cross-platform workstation for sequencing, sampling and synthesis." It’s available for iOS, Windows, and Mac. Looks pretty sick. The latest rev adds adds 16 internal synth engines derived from Mutable Instruments’ Plaits. :grinning:

Link: Cong Burn

10 Likes

been using the M4L for long time. it was only sequencing and some modulation for a long time… recently he made it an iOS/AU/VST3 and added sampling and just the other day added some of the oscillator models from the PLAITS/BRAIDS

he stays on top of updates and any bugs that come up and has got it running well on all platforms. it’s an interesting device.

5 Likes

Can it sequence other instruments inside Ableton via MIDI?

I’ve been using it more on iOS than on my Mac but yes, can sequence any other instruments

1 Like

I don’t have it but I remember checking it out before it had the sampler and synths when it was just a midi sequencer so I’m guessing it would still have that feature.

Does look tempting with the now added MI synths

1 Like

I’ve been a user from day one when it was called Jaki, It’s come a very long way and John has added some great features. They also have Dispatch Cong Burn

2 Likes

Now I’m listening to the strokes while making brunch!

8 Likes

It looks excellent. Been on the fence for a long time but this might push me over.

Is This It?

5 Likes

Can’t you see I’m trying?

2 Likes

If you aren’t trying at least this hard you aren’t trying hard enough!

2 Likes

I nearly didn’t click this thread because I thought it was about the band but I’m glad I did… I had Strokes on my shortlist for some alternative sequencing options and now I’ve just found out about the sampling and Plaits aspects being added.

I just had a quick look through the manual - does anyone know if it’s possible to route each of the voices out to a separate audio channel in Live when using the VST3 version?

An ad for this just popped into my Instagram timeline so I thought I’d see if there was a thread here :slightly_smiling_face: it looks really interesting and nicely designed, though to be honest I’ not sure I’d really need it with the stuff already available in Bitwig…

Not yet but I think it’s on the way fairly soon

1 Like

Beta going out today with multi out for vst3

3 Likes

Oh aye, that’s pretty cool. I’m doing NGNY this year so this is at the top of my list for 1st of January (or if I fall off the wagon!!)…

1 Like

I may be late to the party, but Strokes is phenomenal. Maybe it’s just the honeymoon period, but I’ve been able to put together more fully-fleshed out jams in this than any other iOS DAW/app that I’ve had.

The ability to be up and running with an idea within just a few minutes is something that I really value.

The hands-on functionality really comes alive when mapping it to an external MIDI controller. I’m using an OP-1, which I think has the perfect amount of buttons/knobs to map without getting overwhelmed.

There are some aspects that are a bit opaque (Logic lanes 5-8), but that’s also the charm. I don’t have to fully understand every piece to get a worthwhile pattern going. I feel like I’ve been able to learn most pieces in the week and a half I’ve sat with it.

It’s about as close to modular as you can get on iOS without going the whole VCV route and the Plaits modules really do make it possible to use it solely in standalone.

Overall, thrilled with this program. $20 can feel steep into the iOS world, but if you jive with it, it is well worth the investment.

Would love to hear any jams that people have put together using Strokes. There’s very little out there about this program and I’d love to hear what this community is doing with it.

2 Likes

A few people have posted stuff they have done with Strokes in the Discord Cong Burn

1 Like

I just posted this in the “What you listening to” thread, but I think it’s worth posting here too. From the Strokes dev John. I really dig this “complex minimalism”

https://paperclipminimiser.bandcamp.com/album/paperclip-minimiser

1 Like

I have it on ios. It‘s nice, but I would love an UI overhaul. You don‘t really need access to all voices at the same time. Would be nice if the usabillity was better, but all in all its already pretty good.