Successful producers

Agree.

I definitely consider myself an artist. And part of that is obsessivley working on ideas, all the way until they are complete, to create something I consider worthwile. Then I use bandcamp et al to ‘get it out there’

Success? Well as long as I finish at least one project a year ( minimum one EP or album) then yes. I’m succesful at achieving my own goals.

I learned over the years to completley let go of the chase, (gigs, record sales) and I make music purely for the joy of creating. To please myself, and the positive effect making music has on my whole life.

7 Likes

I think it goes for any kind of big money making success that one of the (seemingly) easiest ways to get there is by being selfish.

Taking advantage, grabbing opportunities, stepping on others to get where you want to get. This will come with eventual downfalls too. What goes up, must come down. Those you step on to get to the top won’t be there for you on the way down.

I guess the best thing you can do is try to look at what being successful means to you.

For me it’s getting to do what I want to do and not having a lot of stress and worry in my life. Being a good person is more important than maximizing my financial status.

Don’t compare yourself to jerks who made it “big”, you don’t want to be like them.

4 Likes

Finished my recordin degree several years ago. Sure, it was a big help in boosting my production skills - but the most valuable thing I got out of it was having to do a business subject with a fairly in-depth industry analysis as one of the assignments. As such as I was forced to confront the fact that the odds of “success” aren’t in my favour to begin with (especially in Australia); and my lack of social skills is only likely to lengthen those odds.

Bounced around with a few startup game developers and film makers after graduation for a bit - but in the end decided it wasn’t for me. Got kinda tired of living hand to mouth while being powered by Centrelink and hopium. Can’t really depend on luck and maybe I’m not (or will never be) good enough to get anywhere. Ended up going back to uni and getting a “proper” engineering degree and recently just started a masters. So my future is a whole lot more certain these days.

On the other hand, I know a few ppl who seem to have done pretty well for themselves:

One fella started out as a DJ/promoter putting on parties. Since no one else was doing anything in that niche at the time, they went quite well. Went on to complete some sort of creative industries degree and kept producing and throwing parties. Since people in the scene already knew who he was, he had access to a decent audience.

2nd fella (was in my cohort) started off by recording friends bands. Once he got a bit of a reputation he was able to start charging. Last I heard, he was booked solid and had also bought out a mastering business but wanted to take a bit of a step back in order to focus on other things. But this fella was also pretty socially adept - and worked damned hard to build those connections.

Other artist type friends of friends who’ve done well for themselves and broken out of the local Brisbane scene started off by getting themselves a core fan base in the local scene (4zzz community events etc) and then spread out from there.

And on top of all that hard work, luck still comes into play.

Sorry, I’ve waffled on a bit - what was the question again?

2 Likes
1 Like

Sadly true.

1 Like

All the small successes I’ve had in getting gigs or getting something creative published has been a combination of being honest about what I can do, knowing people and then meeting or slightly exceeding expectation.

3 Likes

love OP’s posting style

1 Like

^ Here be wisdom.

“I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man’s. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.”
William Blake.

Not referring to @darenager or anyone else for that matter, but here be more wisdom…

“It’s better to have failed on your own terms,
than to have succeeded on somebody else’s.”
Andrew Weatherall

6 Likes

Amen to that Brother! :heart:

3 Likes

This genuinely makes me so very happy indeed.

1 Like

To be fair I was a bit drunk :woozy_face: and I don’t drink often
I was ok at the start, and progressively got worse as the thread went on haha…

I’m not bitter or anything, I don’t consider myself to be talented enough to make it in the music industry I only make music for enjoyment and a hobby,
i just was thinking about the ones that were actually getting somewhere from what I saw during my music courses but were definitely the least talented…
It’s a pretty well known fact that’s how it can be, not always but sometimes…
And was wondering if others had seen it first hand also.

2 Likes

When drunk put Phone away :wink:

Have never enrolled in a course but have seen People around me get signed to small and really big labels. Soms djing all over and the sickest venues and festivals.

I also put in the hard work (maybe mostly from last year till now) and i always was jealous and maybe a little bitter about it. Why them not me! My snare isn’t garbage!

That was a couple of years ago and now im super happy for everyone and very excited when whoever releases new music or is/was playing somewhere.
It just doesnt matter, just do what you like and where your heart is at. Thats most important.

Music is life

1 Like

Amen to all that.

1. Am I having fun?
    And if you’re ambitious:
  2. Am I making something I believe is good?

That’s all that matters. The rest is noise. If you want to be famous, there are much better ways to do it than making music.

3 Likes

:rofl: That was pretty tame drunk chat to be fair dude. Some people definitely need breathalysers on their phones tho,…

1 Like

There are a lot of good things in this thread.

I think @reeloy just dropped Thor’s hammer with this comment.

Awesome words :wink:

1 Like

Reading this thread makes me realize how successful I am and have been during my career. How lucky I’ve been despite the odds!

2 Likes

Knobhead.

3 Likes

napster sealed the fate of music long ago - since then increasingly people have thought of music as something that should be free. you can never get that back…

the only artists who make a living with music now are always touring, or they’re mega stars with billions of streams (but those people almost always tour too)

2 Likes

Loving this beautiful distortion and other worldly sound design! No human knobhead made this, no, no. This was made by an extraterrestrial knobhead.

1 Like