Super fast Ableton Template Frank Wiedemann, Sebastian Mullaert, Stimming & Deadmau5 learnings

so is there any chance you’ll just upload the update to gumroad as well? it’s just easier for me to get it from there as that’s where I’ve already got it…

Thank you that s really nice to read. Keeping it real :slight_smile:

Hey Alechko, sorry but I will not be updating the files on Gumroad, just managing one shop is crazy amounts of work… basically 90% of my free time the last 2 months has been this.

I sent out an email today which has a button that takes you to the new shop. Just add the product and check out for free: done. Literally 3 steps :slight_smile:

ah, ok no problem!

Hey Erik,

Just got the email after purchasing yesterday, probably an hour before you pushed v2, but the link seems to take me to the old/regular version of your shop. I added the template and used the code but when I open the download, I don’t see the superchannel. I emailed you but if this is a better place to explain, that works too. Thanks!

Hey healthylives, thanks for bringing this up. I have renamed the files to be more clear. Once you get the template you get this window where you can access the files. You can use your existing link to get to this window again :slight_smile:

Ah, that did it! Thank you. Amazing work putting all of this together.

1 Like

Hello everyone I just uploaded a video where I go through the most useful, undervalued or innovative gear in my studio.

Have a good Sunday Evening!

4 Likes

When you EQ the track - do you do this while the mastering chain is enabled ?

To make the clipper trick working - the clipper has to be hit with high volume? I played around with the settings, to see how much distortion is neccessary. The value in your template was 10 db of distortion, that was gain compensated afterwards. Could you explain this in a little more depth? This was taken from Robert Babicz Masterclass ? The sends FX- are they put through this ? Or does that depend on PFL settings ? Or are they excluded because it sits on a channel before the master?

The OTT is to amplify the peaks for the clipper so the trick works ? It clearly sounds “better” when put through it, but i would like to understand the process a little bit more in depth.

Hey Sternenlicht, some interesting questions here, sorry for long post but sound engineering is hard to put into few words…

Yes I always do all work with full mastering chain enabled. Disengage before final mixdown and then preoperly master in a separate project, using Rapid Flow mastering chain there is probably a good starting point. One user described it as “reverse mixing” and I think that s a good explanation.

The clipper will only clip signals if they exceed a certain level. the template is setup with limiters so basically kicks and basses get thru clean, UNLESS they hit at the same time. Then the clipper will chop them down. This is a common problem in dance music and many producers choose to only use one sound in one 16th note. This opens more options, I show this in the first explanation video.

Everything incl .Send FX goes through this chain. Only exception is the reference chain on Xfader side B.

OTT just does something kinda magical for dance music to make any sound feel more mix ready. it has to be used in moderation though, tjhings can easily get out of hand. It s sort of a multiband exciter but I dont use the low band. Fio mids and highs it adds more dynamics and pushes these frequencies forward. I found over the years I was always boosting mids and highs to get a mix ready sound so this reduces work to be done.

I looked for a way to do it on the master bus rather than on all individual channels. I have a personal very large template that has this kind of mid high enhancement on a separate track similar to the mastering track, using UBK Clariphonic plugin… but these days Im using the Rapid flow template myself in the studio over this more complex one… The simplicity and directness of it makes it hard to open the other much more contrived template. The results are very similar, even though other template has about a few hundred euro worth of plugins in it… I was honestly a little surprised. I think the main things I will maybe port over is a few send FX, the UBK Clariphonic chain for presence and Valhalla Reverbs and Delays.

Would such an “advanced template” be of interest to see?

Hope this helps, again sorry for long post :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for your explanation, i really appreciate it. This was all very eye /ear opening.

1 Like

Hello, I’m new to Ableton, but after watching your videos I can see that getting this template and working with it from the beginning may be beneficial. I finally have a computer that can run Ableton and have printed out the 850 page manual that I’m starting to go thru.

If you have any additional resources / guides / online course links that you would think may be beneficial for someone starting out, I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. I started DAWless, but I’m now ready to take the plunge into DAWs.

Right now, I have a mixer / audio interface (Zoom L-12) that allows 10 channels transmit via USB to Ableton. Your video mentioned that you use a patchbay and I’m not familiar with that equipment. If you send me a product model, I can look through an online manual and better familiarize myself.

is it printed on regular printer A4 paper? I mean, is it comfortable to read?
genuinely curious, personally I like my manuals in PDF with a tablet or something, so I could easily open them and have the ability to search and use the links to jump to chapters, etc., I mean 850 pages is a lot!

check the official Ableton YT channel, lots of useful videos there:

I printed it out on economy recycled A4 and put it in a 3-ring binder … ultimately it is a matter of personal preference, but I prefer to have a hard copy of a manual for the following reasons:

1. being able to make hand-written notes and add tabs for reference helps me with the absorption of material, especially complex material … study habits that I formed at university.
  2. reduced eye strain.
  3. reduced hand / finger strain from scrolling.
  4. elimination of distractions from incoming messages. The ability to focus on just the manual

Point 1 is the most important for me. Points 2 and 3 are becoming more important as I get older … wasn’t such a big deal in my younger years. Point 4 I’m pretty good at avoiding, so not so much a big deal.

There were certain sections I skipped from printing, such as the Push chapters or anything else that I didn’t feel was necessary so technically I didn’t print the entire thing, but it is still pretty big.

I will go to the PDF if I can’t make some of the visual pictures out from the B&W. The links do help.

I will check out the Ableton videos. Thank you for the input!

1 Like

no problem, I really was curious, I find PDFs much easier to handle also from the POV that usually it changes for every new version, so I also prefer having always the updated version. anyway, sounds like you have a solid plan :slight_smile:

also check (for more advanced stuff) Mr. Bill, maybe not your style of music but his Ableton skills are admirable, there’s lots to learn from his techniques!

1 Like

Quick question: am I blind or is there no version 2 for Live 10?

Hey you re absolutely right, I only made V9 for backwards compatibility. If you open V9 you re on V10 you ll see the main difference, splitting the mastering channel into the super channel and mastering channel. Only thing missing in V9 is OTT but I posted a screenshot of it in this thread. Will make a V10 though, just wasn’t sure if it was really being used. No cutting corners for me :relaxed:

1 Like

It was pretty late last night and I was pretty dumb at that point. LOL

Hey @ErikH, I grabbed your template yesterday after watching the one hour video and liking the workflow/approach, great work.

Not sure if anyone else has pointed it out yet, the Convolution Rev Pro on Rtn C isn’t compatible with silicon/M1 Macs. I can’t see the settings to figure out what the intention (size/style, etc) of that reverb plugin is, and I’d like to know that as part of the template.

Also, do you have somewhere you’d prefer feedback to go to?

Overall, great job putting this together, I can’t wait to customise this to my own studio gear and sounds, and have fun!

Hey CCMP thank you for letting me know. The convolution reverb is basically a longrerverb in the style of Eventide Blackhole, was just trying to use Ableton native stuff. You can easily replace it with the freeware supermassive from amazing Valhalla and have the same effect. I would just cut the lows and highs a little as it otherwise takes up a lot of space in the mix: Valhalla Super Massive - Valhalla DSP
Feedback on the discord would be best, trying to bundle things a bit :slight_smile: https://discord.gg/sGThgDceP5

1 Like