SW DEALS : Software on Sale

I definitely need to avoid this thread this month :slight_smile:

6 Likes

They are great! One thing to remember is you can only hook up one external monitor on the MacBook Air. Mac mini can do two as it does not have an internal display. Just in case that is something you are planning…

2 Likes

Good info.

I will ask one more question and then go to the Apple thread so that this can be left to focus on software deals … I have a 34" external monitor, so the one display limit should not be an issue, but the specs mention you can use “sidecar” to use an iPad for an external display as well … So could I use both an external monitor AND and iPad as a dual monitor setup if needed?

I am using Ventura already, with iPad Pro and I can use three displays (External, MacBook and iPad )

You can always use the External one and the MacBook anyway…

Hi,
Thank you for the response and offer.
I didn’t think about the M1 compatibility as I’m still on intel but I plan on upgrading fairly soon.
But, I’m hard passing on BFD3 because of this (found on their sites FAQ)

Can I run BFD3 on a DAW with no Internet connection?

Yes, however, an internet connection is required for download, authorization, and reauthorization every 90 days”

Reauthorization? What in the heck? I’ve never heard of anything like that. If the company goes down one day, then what? I can’t support that concept. I certainly hope none of my current software does that.

6 Likes

Wow, sounds like somebody’s spiteful revenge for a rejected subscription model idea

1 Like

I’m no fan of ilok but at least I can use the dongle and be left in peace.

I just checked Plugin Alliance and they seem one and done too.

Any new software I buy will be scrutinised for this “reauth” policy. That’s just bonkers.

From my experience, a fair chunk of the stuff I’ve bought technically reauthorises every few months. I’m sure Ableton and NI/Arturia stuff does this. I’ve never found it invasive - runs in the background - but then I’m not away from the internet for 90 days at a time. If the company went tits up then I’m pretty sure they would simply switch the process off from their end so the software wouldn’t require it any longer.

2 Likes

Looking at their website, I don’t even see BFD listed as a product. Has is been discontinued?

Ableton does not require reauthorization. You can do a complete offline auth (other computer with internet of course). Same for updates.
I don’t use NI stuff so no idea there.

Yeah, I only see it on retailers and it looks like it’s a last time cash grab. Kinda like iZotope did with a bunch of their software recently. Basically “thanks for purchasing”…a few months later, “we are no longer supporting this”.

1 Like

You’re doing well brother :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

BDF is now owned by the InMusic the group that owns Akai and was bought from Roli. They are actively developing and working with other brands in the group like Alesis.

Eeek. Thanks for the heads up/warning.

NI and Arturia have invasive software especially NI. Not as bad on mac but if you are a windows user, good luck deleting all their folders.

Point is I wouldn’t hold them to a high standard and personally I am moving on from Arturia since I have pigments and dont need much more from them besides that. They have the worst servers and all these companies with their install software really annoy me. Roland of course is the worst, which is a shame because even if you buy their plugins it still has to phone home every month which is unacceptable .

Anyway on the topic I am personally just going to buy from more independent plugin makers who let me download direct from their website. My current sale watchlist is mainly Dune.

1 Like

I have way too many plugins and keep buying them. I’ve always liked to buy from small developers and at the moment I am using plugins from Baby Audio, Sonible, and Audio Modern. I still use stuff by Eventide, NI and iZotope but I am always looking for something new.

3 Likes

I got Trackspacer today for 30€ (half price) and it’s well worth it for taming clashing elements.

10 Likes

Interestingly if you got the free Little Radiator VST they will give you an additional $20 off the full bundle.

4 Likes

it’s really good at what it does and can be transparent as fuck if you set it right… or can be a creative ducker side chain type thing. excellent plug in.

1 Like

I can’t imagine anything being worse than Roland Cloud. :see_no_evil:

I tried to go on Roland Cloud last night to see if there were any deals … it locked my computer up so bad I thought I was going to have to take it apart to remove the battery. After holding the power button for 2 minutes if finally shut down.

Roland Cloud seems to get worse each time I foolishly fire it up. I was trying to find the N/Zyme model expansion … which took me about 5 minutes to find after I deleted the Roland Cloud and reinstalled it. It wasn’t on sale. :roll_eyes:

I just use Roland Cloud to get expansions for my Fantom. I can’t imagine having to depend on it for verified plug-in use.

3 Likes