SW DEALS : Software on Sale

I’ve had volcano for a few months and it’s found it’s way on to every project. I primarily use ableton stock compressor and izotope dynamics but have been eyeing c-2 and maybe the limiter. Any thoughts on overlap with Izotope stuff?

Dan Worral has a series on drum sound design with volcano BTW if you haven’t seen that or are familiar with him - excellent

I’ve only had it a day but I redid a track where I struggled with the compression and ended up wrecking the dynamics.

Instantly peroduced something I was way happier with, with much more punch.

I use the limiter on everything. I much prefer it to Ozone.

2 Likes

Ah sounds like it’s worth a demo. I have plenty of tracks with ruined compression so test cases are ample :slightly_smiling_face:

Eventide has up to 75% off until Jan 2nd on plug-ins. Their IOS apps are on sale as well.

I’m considering getting just Blackhole for $29. But I might just get Blackhole for IOS for $10 to learn it and wait until the next sale. I have more gear, apps and software to shake a stick at right now. I must resist “deals” so I can focus on music and learning what I have.

2 Likes

Overloud is having a big sale right now, better than the BF sale: https://overloud.com/

I finally picked up a few units, so glad I waited.

For my Elektroaut homies here’s an additional 20% off the sale price coupon I got:

GEM-20-XGD

1 Like

So I basically gave in and bought Volcano, Saturn, Timeless and R-2 :joy:

They are bloody good though.

I’m actually thinking I will use the Arturia plugins less. I don’t find the skeuomorphic retro hardware thing that easy to use.

4 Likes

I did that last year. In fact at the end I bought almost everything… :slight_smile:

Saturn is very good, love the presets. Just make sure to activate the HQ button at the bottom to hear the best the plugin has to offer.

Beat Scholar is advertised at US$49 today, direct from Modalics

I LOVE using it for parallel processing / distortion, just setting 2-3 bands and having 12/24 db slopes does insane stuff to audio, adding different saturation / tube to different bands is soo good.

2 Likes

Eventide plugs are on sale Eventide Audio Plugins for Mixing and Mastering | Bundle and Save – Eventide Store

I use saturn and volanco on everything. I never got in to timeless I think its cause i already have heaps of delays and got all the FF plugs in one hit so it was a lot to get up to speed with. It’s cool maybe i will spend more time with it next year.

I love all the envelope followers and sequencable modulations in the FF plugs, I use those a lot too

Volcano is one that intrigues me still. Not sure how much I’d use over the Ableton filter though. Any experience there?

theres a few ways I use it

• character eq using the different filter types, the tube model but usually i already have saturn doing something similar, just like low/hi shelfs and a few bell boosts/cut
  • filter sweeps, i make more distorted stuff so i tend to use the “hard” type i think it is with lots of input drive and a bit of res
  • occasionally mid side stuff, its just as competent as saturn or pro-q3 so depends what i have on
  • the build in modulations like lfos and envelope generators for shaping

theres a fair bit of cross over with saturn in that either can do character/drive and eq shapes, saturn is more like a multiband tool while volcano you can build elaborate signal paths with lots of different filter types all modulation (i tend to use it as a fancier ableton auto filter).

saturn has more saturation focus (so like tube, transformer, tape sat) which are generally a lot subtler and it has amp like sims (i use quite a bit) vs volcano which has some sort of tube model but more based on filtering. im too deaf to really hear subtle saturation most of the time though

the biggest + over auto filter is volcano is animated so you can see what your lfos are doing and stuff, the lack of which i find a bit annoying when using auto filter. And you can have several filters in whatever config you want like one after the other, in parallel, one left/one right or mid/side etc.

at higher resonances i have noticed automating the volcano cutoff via abletons automation can be a bit noticable, i havent looked into it but usually back off the res and its fine

i think autofilter is fine the main thing is probably easier control over drive, mid/side and more advanced automation options that are quicker/easier to do in one plugin. nothing you couldn’t do with a few m4l devices though id say, you can make some pretty weird and wonderful modulated signal paths pretty easily with volcano though.

it’s that time again, u-he sale at Native Instruments

U-He Offer 2022 (native-instruments.com)

8 Likes

God help me, I really don’t have the discipline. To be honest if anyone picks up both Pigments on sale (which I did even though I only sold it a little while ago) and either Hive or Zebra you’ve probably got enough synthesis for a lifetime. Me personally, I’d be tempted by Repro because it sounds absolutely wonderful and my M1 Mac Mini can actually run Repro 5, my old Macbook almost fell over with that thing.

These synths are worth every penny at full price. I’ve sung the praises of U-He here more than once, they really are at the top of the pile in terms of quality and customer service.

3 Likes

Am I the only holding out for FREE Gibs me dat plugins at this point? My software purchases are done until next black friday sale 2023.

1 Like

Oh amazing, I was just thinking how I wouldn’t mind some of their effects standalone after enjoying them in Repro-1, but also how they hardly ever have a sale!

1 Like

Arturia are giving away their MS-20 Filter plugin for the next couple of weeks

12 Likes

I was just about to post this. U-he don’t have sales very often and their stuff is really good so definitely worth checking out

1 Like

damn such a good deal and presswerk looking so good! must resist…

5 Likes