SYNTRX II from Erica Synths

Completely different is winging it a bit.šŸ„¹

1 Like

Yeah, the next thing he says is, ā€œWe learned a lot from building the first version of SYNTRX.ā€

The joystick looks definitely improvedšŸ˜€

1 Like

I love that you can record joystick motion, and that the record button is right there next to the joystick. The playing that he did toward the end really showed off uses for the joystick.

2 Likes

I loved it all. My wife walked in the room and said oh no another one. Then she saw it and said thats beautiful.

4 Likes

But itā€™s so practical.

4 Likes

I couldnā€™t really hear the oscillators, because it was too loud, even though I had my own headphones. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t know yet if Iā€™d buy it or not. But yeah, spring reverb was a bit special on the first Syntrx. Without it there isnā€™t any LED noise problem though. Itā€™s the advantage of the second version.

Oh NOW I want one. Mine v1ā€™s floppiness is already well documented.

1 Like

It looks stiff as aā€¦ā€¦.:rofl:

To me it seems like the same joystick as in the version 1.

1 Like

With all the complaints i think they listened. But this one looks really stiff as he moves it around at the end. Maybe some others could say whove got one?

Hereā€™s a little exploration I did (second part of video). Not super interesting but itā€™s eh something.

Joystick is not stiff at all btw :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/XDvoY7K0-0s

Itā€™s cool but I definitely like the quirkiness of the first one a lot more. Easier to get feedback lines going on that one

6 Likes

In the video Girts twice called the (volt)meter, the scope. Actually would be nice if that slot really was an oscilloscope like on the (25 thousand dollar) Colossus. Even something like the Korg NTS-2 stuck in there would be fine. Girts pointed to the ā€œscopeā€ and said, see thereā€™s a sawtooth ( paraphrase ). Well i suppose you can see a sawtooth on a meter, but a real 'scope would be nice.

Off-topic but getting rid of the break apart case on the NTS-2 and sticking it in your own DIY experimental synth would be good.

BTW : Just on a superficial looks basis, i much prefer the meter in the 2. Itā€™s the steam-punk retro look of it. They no doubt work pretty much identically.

2 Likes

Steam Punk retro. I need to invest in some of the steam punk bulbs you see for the studio. July August eta.

1 Like

The first ones not stiff but should be as the Putney original was. I think that was the complaint.

Iā€™m not a big fan of steam punk, but it surely is the healthiest punk.

Mine is. Stiff enough anyway.

1 Like

Synths no matter what you do have a steam-punk essence, with all the dials and lights, the loose wires and abstruse behaviors. The black on the 2 helps too, and the LED matrix works as well, though a peg matrix with the colored pegs is no doubt better.

Thatā€™s what he said

3 Likes

I knew it when I typed it. Youā€™re everywhere :joy:

2 Likes