Taiga from Pittsburgh Modular

Very nice. Much more interesting than a Minimoog rerererererelease.

5 Likes

And about a tenth of the price…

3 Likes

from what I’ve seen/heard so far this feels like a VRL2 - taking all the great features from the VRL and expanding/updating them.
From what Richard has said in various streams the real VRL2 will be a much bigger and more experimental instrument.

my order is in so I’ll see for myself soon!

1 Like

Sarah Belle Reid does a great job explaining and showing some reasons why some of the features are interesting… although after listening to demos I kind of just wish they had made a big semimodular eastcoast synth as I think the LPG sounds fantastic, where the filter sounds more or less fine. Like 2 LPGs and 4 loopable AD envelopes with tilt instead of the 2 ADSRs. Clearly something like the 0-ctrl helps to open it up with the added envelope, touch control and sequencing. On its own I can’t help but think it is a little bit light on the modulation options with that kind of weak lfo.

I think VRL2 will be more what I am after if I have the funds for it

2 Likes

Or grab a Microvolt, if you can find one used. Great for bass and some weird shit, but not as limited as the Hades. Plus it has the Pittsburgh sound.

1 Like

That’s the VRL. I think they’re very explicitly coming for tired-ass, East Coast bass synths with the Taiga.

But that folding routed through the drive is delicious. Considering it’s a full-voice, it doesnt threaten my DPO, but man does it sound good.

1 Like

GAS, I have to admit :upside_down_face:
Great package

2 Likes
Temptation

This plus the SIG and more interesting modulation in a single 3U? :drooling_face:

1 Like

I note that both she and Loopop are making comparison, to equivalent parts in the East Beast and the West Pest. If someone liked parts of Taiga but wanted some slightly different parts, and had preferences like for an LFO and Envelopes, you could pick from other pieces and add other parts with one of those other two. Sarah Belle Reid wanted better CV in control with the LFO and Envelopes for instance.

It might cost about the same, but if you are selective enough you might find something going more completely your direction.

2 Likes

The Sound.

3 Likes

Loopop’s outtro just sounds massive. That filter sounds very “liquid” in his video.

2 Likes

wonderful

Yeah, I’ve always loved that Pittsburgh filter sound. Liquid is the perfect word to describe it.

2 Likes

Wondering can it send out triggers each 1/16 to trigger DFAM and get it in sync?

Would be killer to have it next to DFAM and have the ability to sync them both and then sync it to incoming midi clock without any additional modules.

If the digital control module is based off the midi module (from the SV1) then yes, there’s a clock output with multiplier/divider.

3 Likes

Just watched Loopops review; Sounds fantastic with a lot in there for the price. I really hope Pittsburgh M do well with this and prosper.

With the sequencer with rests, I presume standalone the Taiga has more flexibility for clocking/ sequencing the DFAM.

2 Likes

Interesting - Pittsburgh Modular now have an EU warehouse / distributor, though the Tiaga is currently the only item listed there.

1 Like

Richard Nicol in a comment in one of the videos mentioned having a warehouse in Germany, for European distribution.

Has that been a problem for Pittsburgh Modular in the past ?

Perhaps they will also retail from there too ?

1 Like

Not that I’ve noticed - I got my SV-1 from Thomann and they seemed to be in stock elsewhere in the EU quite reliably.

I discovered the EU warehouse through a link in the Cre8Audio store too.

1 Like

Based on Loopop’s review (and maybe it’s just because it’s a preproduction unit), as interesting as the voice architecture is, and as good as it sounds, there seems to be a lot of sloppy implementations.

Granted, most of them seemed related to what might simply be calibration issues.

Here’s hoping…

Cheers!