Taiga from Pittsburgh Modular

Richard has said a few places that the VRL2 will be a much bigger (180HP) instrument with a controller

3 Likes

Ah, thanks for that information - sounds even more exciting!

Could potentially be fixed in an update, but I doubt it would be.

7 Likes
2 Likes

And another no talking demo with different patches for Ambient, Techno and Electronica

4 Likes

Malekko Manther (stand-alone groovebox version) has a wavefolder and patch memory

1 Like

Danngg I didnā€™t realize thatā€¦but yep, there it is, TRI FOLD (also assignable to other VCO waveforms, which is sweet)

Thanks for that! So the question is: Manther or Taiga + Some sort of patch memory module like Polyend Preset or Voltage Block? :thinking:

1 Like

All wavefolders sound much different, I wouldnā€™t base a purchase off of it had oneā€¦ some synthā€™s pulse width can sound as wavefoldy as anythingā€¦lol.
If you want a really great wavefolder, I would say the one on the taiga is of an incredible qualityā€¦ Iā€™m sure it will sound much more alive and interesting then the one on the manther will. Arturia synthā€™s have them too btw.
For that price have you thought about a digitone? That may be the king of wavefolders.

It sounds lush, I loved my SV-1 (a) and refused to send it back for the fix (as it was an early unit that had weird soft-sync and apparently wobbly tracking). It sounded great, I only changed as I was FMing the oscā€™s so much I went down the Complex Osc route. I would love one of theseā€¦

1 Like

I decided to put one of these on pre-order through Thomann which is currently listing them as a week out. That may be optimistic, but thereā€™s no great rush.

Iā€™ve sort of come to the conclusion that modular for me will make more sense if I use it to augment ā€œinstrumentsā€ that have a logic to them as opposed to creating fully modular instruments. Taiga will be my first go at this concept. Iā€™m going to use it in an Intellijel case Iā€™ve been making poor use of with some modules Iā€™ve already got on hand that will provide a lot of options for modulation, among other things. The only things I feel like Iā€™m really missing from the case are more Logic related modules and some interesting effects.

If they ever offer a silver faceplate replacement, Iā€™m all over it.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not a wavefold knob type of implementation but you can do the same sort of wavefolding youā€™d do on say, an SY77 with 0hz carriers using the Motas-6. The carrier oscillator/s can be set to an ā€˜infrasonicā€™ mode then phase modulated for those sorts of tones.

I think the Monologue does some sort of wavefolding too? Itā€™s been a long time since I had one though.

2 Likes

Have you got a Motas? Not spoken with many who do

Yeah the wave folding on the Motas is cool but itā€™s a shame the carrier doesnā€™t go to true 0hz, thereā€™s always movement which makes the harmonics a little less clear which is a cool effect too but itā€™d be nice to have the option.

The alternative is you go the other way and go ultrasonic which has more static sound but then has a slight grit to itā€™s sound which again is cool but also would be cool to have the option to not haveā€¦ the Motas is awesome with its wavefolding in that you can combine it with all its other features to get results you wouldnā€™t be able to get with any other synth that has wavefolding and yeah itā€™s nice to be able to save patches.

Monologues wavefolding is very limited

I had a look at the Motas features and donā€™t see anything about wavefolding, but see thereā€™s phase modulation of some oscillators and what they call vector morphing, which does sound very cool:

ā€œThere are 5 instant-access patches available at any time (in RAM memory). In vector morphing mode dual external controllers allow the active patch to morph in 2-dimensions between the first 4 presets.ā€

Thereā€™s no wavefolding on the monologue (nor minilogue), they have waveshaping, but again thatā€™s something different from wavefolding.

I donā€™t know of any fixed-architecture analogue synths (perhaps some Buchlas?) that have wavefolding.

The Norand Mono is analogue and has through-zero FM. I donā€™t know of other fixed architecture analogues with patch memory and TZFM.

The wavefolding on the Motas was something that I discovered that could be done by repurposing the PM circuit after reading about achieving wavefolding with 0hz carrier on the digitone, I spoke with Jon (the designer) about this and we came up with the ideas of making infrasonic and ultrasonic modes for the carrier oscillators a possibility through firmware instead of having to do it the hacky way Iā€™d originally been doing it.

Itā€™s not an advertised feature as it wasnā€™t intended to be there but it is wavefolding as youā€™d find in other synthsā€¦ wavefolding is just a type of waveshaping ultimately and what you get with the triangle wave on the monologue is a very limited folding.

1 Like

Very cool. From listening to Motas demos it sounds really good.

Iā€™m not sure this is entirely correct. Sure, wavefolding changes the shape, but it turns a wave in on itself, possibly many times, creating multiple waves from a single wave, whereas waveshapers typically reshape a single wave into another single wave.

In this vid from three minutes thereā€™s an explanation of wavefolding with oscilloscope:

1 Like

Majella Implexus has wavefolding for its ā€œcomplex oscillatorā€.

4 Likes

Another really good sounding and deeply flexible synth in production! But no patch saving for @RhythmDroid

Yeah, I think I posted in the thread on here when I bought it. Your videos etc. made it less of a leap of faith than it otherwise wouldā€™ve been!

Mineā€™s been a bit poorly recently unfortunately, kind of tossing up what to do about that at the moment but weā€™re going a bit OT here I guess :slight_smile:

Oh damn, whatā€™s up with it?

And oh yeah, I thought that mightve been the case as your name was familiar