Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

It looks like we missed adding dubbed in “crowd noise” to studio tracks.

2 Likes
15 Likes

it is an odd choice of instrument for the tune but personally i think they just about pulled it off :slight_smile:

broadly speaking im with you on the 303. some of those early acid tracks are astonishing, and while im not presonally that keen on RDJ (i know, sacrilege) and luke vibert etc, i acknowledge theyve knocked out a wealth of acid stuff that is above and beyond most of the bog-standard squelchy business. but overall its been done to death, and if i never hear another 303 in my lifetime i won’t be devastated.

3 Likes

“This looks like an excellent candidate. Strong facial hair, glasses so he must be smart, looks like he gets things done not spending all his time on web forums. I think we found our man.”

“This just came in sir/madam, our research shows he doesn’t approve of squelchy 303 basses!”

“Put him in the ‘No’ pile with the others.”

‘No’ pile: @craig, @DonovanDwyer, @christianlukegates

8 Likes

If the AS-1 was a car:

If the 303 was a car:

10 Likes

Wait, so you are saying the 303 is cool now?

10 Likes

Hahahaha

2 Likes

Whilst I cry laughing at that glorious image, I must offer my rebuttal to fit the analogy:

Wouldn’t the 303 be more like a Delorean?
They made 10,000 303s and 9,000 Deloreans were made.

Commercial flop, but now demand is greater than supply. And many clones (wedge shaped cars) have been made since.

2w1S

10 Likes

How about this classic. Place just before drop and after every 4 consecutive bars = profit

2 Likes

I was referring to folks who might scoff at four on the floor. I think it is funny to have an adverse reaction to having a bass drum on the 2nd and 4th beats of a measure instead of a snare drum. I don’t think an example of backbeat is necessary as it is as ubiquitous as air in popular music for nearly the last 100 years

Backbeat definition:
A term used in popular music to describe a continuous heavy accent on beats 2 and 4 in jazz and rock and roll music. A consistent rhythm that stresses beats 2 and 4 in common time.

Best.

Car.

Everer.

4 Likes

must be in this thread.

7 Likes

I really get goosbumps of all that great techniques, … I secretely love them ! … ALL !

(that strange autotune, talk box, vocoder thingie, yes ! people say i´m too negative, but i say YES…aaaaahhhrrrgghhh.)

sometimes it helps to put my kalimba on a fx chain or try to record some great ukulele loops to remind myself how much i hate electronic music,…

there´s tons of equipment in hell, but they are all just 303-s, hahaha, craig

2 Likes

Can any of these techniques be used ironically?

2 Likes

Exaggerated midi controller button presses and in general tilting the gear toward the audience to prove how much work is being done.

6 Likes

Oh man I forgot about that one! And turning knobs like they’re on fire, or like your hand is a bird eating some seeds, or you’re finger drumming in zero gravity and the force sent your arm flailing into the sky…

Just turn the damn knob/hit the key already!

14 Likes

well, that could be a problem, seems to be the only one of sound mind afaict :nerd: … the archetypal 303 squelch/riff thang is perceived, to me, like an un-ironic limmy sketch - it just screams wrong, why can’t folk see beyond that - it’s like the spandex shod heavy metal shredder of electronic music, it’s clearly & and arguably objectively obnoxious which might be the point, but for whatever reason TM404 is a complete magician with them, utterly peerless, coaxing beautiful subtlety and quality sounds from those and his x0x cohorts, maybe folk are overdoing the distortion or something?

i generally go very easy on resonance, except with the MS20 which is in another league, arguably the finest synth filters with hi-res

i guess i don’t get the whole acid thing, give me a brassy flutey prophet vibe any day of the week or a gritty VS/ppg and none of that obviously minimoog stuff either, nope

i’ll get my coat :wink:

to redeem myself a bit : i do love the whole of this favourite LCD track, i happily danced my socks off in the Barrowlands whilst this played out the night under green lazers etc - i guess context is everything, it may not be a 303, it’s clearly got that sound/seq vibe in places before the killer hardsync stuff takes over - by 7:40 it gets less clear if it’s one or the other driving it

6 Likes

The mods have gone crazy, someone tell me how to delete my account, I’m done!

2 Likes

I’m sure several laws have been broken here, including possibly the law of physics, incredible.
#wackjobs

1 Like

I find it kinda weird how in the early Basic Channel stuff you hear these sawtoothy chords only very rarely, yet it’s a completely different sound than when you search for ‘dub techno’

1 Like