Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

modular robotic brrrt and other digestive noises.

I like to fiddle with vcv rack, but boy, some people could play pots, toasters and starter cables, no difference heard :wink:

one pet peeve that I have been guilty of but refuse to do these days is the obligatory
“I’m sorry for the crap sound but hey listen to this”
“this is nothing special, it’s not a song or anything I was just f*cking around, but hey listen to this”

but the worst of all is “hey check out my throw away beats”

now I understand why people get so annoyed at their time being wasted like that.

4 Likes

“check this synth demo” - recorded with mobile phone mic…

commenting on synth comparison - “only listening to my phone speakers on a train right now, but I can tell synth B sounds a little warmer and less harsh”

5 Likes

As a DJ back in the early 80’s this was the actual track i used to set up my sound system for every event i did. Your post made me laugh.

2 Likes

If we were to take all the techniques in this thread out of music production, we’d just be left with a 440Hz sine wave.

My nomination is 440Hz sine waves.

9 Likes

I like arpeggios for electro :upside_down_face:.

Don’t, you’ll have the 432 crowd out in a minute talking about cosmic gates and chakras.

9 Likes

me too. that’s why I called the ones I dislike stranger things arpeggios :upside_down_face:

1 Like

open invitation for nonsense accepted…
I always had a feeling songs in the key of C are likely to stimulate a bowel movement.

6 Likes

I used to play stuff for people, not realising that the 60% of the song that was missing, was in my head, and they couldn’t hear it. Oh, all those blank stares, searching their minds for the tiniest compliment. I miss them not.

8 Likes

Seems that nobody actually likes music here :wink:

But i’ll chip in, totally hate vocal chops turned into melodies.

Especially with glide.

5 Likes

ha

Anything more is masturbatory musicianship.

2 Likes

I can just never get normal (up, down, cycle) arps to not sound like a super boring easy solution.

I usually use two methods: 1. I play it by hand with an anchored note usually semi-randomly, or 2. I program it on the PC with my own tried and true “random algorithm” - span chords at least two octaves, use only those notes (non-exhaustive), and three or more consecutive rising or falling patterns cannot exits.

Simple, but always my go to.

3 Likes

Most important to write music that not nobody is liking this is the only way to be the coolest producer of this universe with quite snoby attitude and underproduced Roland Kick Drum, just a joke sorry!

I don’t like techniques.
:angry:

9 Likes

Honestly, I recognise most techniques mentioned in this thread but don’t handle many of them.

My technique? Press buttons and see what happens. One thing’s for sure: I know how to get an arpeggio running. :laughing:

7 Likes

I don’t have techniques.

6 Likes

I find anything rhythmic or melodic extremely derivitive. My next release is a recording of Tibetan monks whispering into mountain orchids.

5 Likes

Sounds a bit meh to me.