Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

Meh is the new Yeah

9 Likes

is this Facebook?
Please close it, this thread is a shame for elektronauts

Orā€¦

Mute the thread if you donā€™t like it and let us carry on.

3 Likes
13 Likes

Banger

Iā€™m going to say speech impediments are not coolā€¦

Stop thinking rap is about not being an eloquent linguist and just talk goodā€¦

I will listen more if you talk smart n stuffā€¦clarity of content is 75% of the work doneā€¦

I donā€™t think that shade goes with your beard. Try something a bit lighter to accentuate the tufts.

2 Likes

I think thereā€™s room enough on the planet for all of these techniques we despise, I think the bright side of all the different kinds of rap though is that the distinction between rappers and MCs is starker than everā€¦ and thatā€™s a good thingā€¦ but I draw the line at paying money for shows where someone reads some wack lyrics off of a cell phone screen live on stage
boooooooooooooo

just as irritating though is dudes that use hiphop production or djing to get famous and then label themselves techno/house djs or idm and do the same kind of production techniques but no longer call it hiphop production

but if Iā€™m honest thereā€™s enough room on earth for them too

1 Like
  • excessive use of retriggering on percussive elements, especially trap hihats.
  • boring chiptuney, plinky plonky jams created on a huge pile of expensive vintage and boutique synths that could be easily replicated with freeware VSTs from the 2000s
  • drum synthesis: I dont like synthesised drums, especially snares and hihats. I cant understand why someone would use something like a Volca Drum or Drumbrute voluntarily, the sound is just ugly. Tho I love the kicks coming out of my A4ā€¦
  • steep low pass filtering to remove harmonic content then drown it in distortion to make it fuzzy again
  • drowning the own musical inability in delays and reverbs then calling it experimental, drone or ambient :rofl:
2 Likes

What I learnt from this topic is that there canā€™t be two people in the world liking the same music.
How comes that such a thing as a concert ever existed?

5 Likes

Modular
98% if everything I see on YT presents the opposite of what music is for me (sound and arrangementwise). The few exceptions mostly have a very small setup and use it in a way thatā€™s out of my understanding, so I am fine with a good mod-matrix.

Glitch
I am to old to understand that. My ears just donā€™t like it

Generative/Random
I like catchy stuff

Breaks/Drops every 8 bars.
Come on, no better way to transition between ideas?

Weird Drum rhythms just to not use 4otf
I am a simple man, I really like simple 4otf Beats (in electronic music. In Rock music I get annoyed by too simple drum beats)

4 Likes

We talk about stuff we donā€™t use. That does not mean that we donā€™t like to listen to it from time to time.

it bothers me when whole bands completely change their style of clothing after their first big hit album like the strokes did, now I canā€™t even listen to them while theyā€™re dressed like this what kind of technique is thatā€¦?

I mean what exactly is going on here

2 Likes

Cutting down half a rainforest to build a patch digitone can do with way little effort :grinning:

4 Likes

Or wake up, order 10 zillion kilometers of welded pipe, let it be delivered in a unknown random place,
Take your bike and sax and look for it. When finally spotted your order you take your saxophone to play and get a delay that could be easily achieved with a mic in digitone thru master FX

2 Likes

wait a minute who hates it when people use drum machines to play acoustic sounds and acoustic drums to trigger electronic sounds ewww

1 Like

A LOT, thatā€™s whatā€™s going on in the first video. :rofl: Seems they had a lot of ideas for the performance and thought they were all great.

Anyway, reminds me of a technique (a tendency, rather) that I (for one) find hard to shake: MAXIMALISM. Too easy to kill a decent song with way too many overdubs. Also too easy to bury a shitty idea under a hundred layers of fluff. Or just way too much reverb.

I really like Bink Beats proposition.
I am actualy struggling to find a good mix between instruments and electronic. Seems like i always stumble upon guys who played trombone for 35 years and found a good idea to add a pad from their childā€™s toy or a DJ who thinks finger drumming gives him more credit as a musician.

If you have recommendation similar to Bink Beats I take it.

For the snare drum, iā€™ll go for a rimshot: it is also a good compromise when well mixed to avoid the clap. Who needs clap? Come on leave it to 2 unlimited or Haddaway.

1 Like

Iā€™m confused.

Are you saying that MC Hammer should have kept the same outfit on through his entire career?

2 Likes

It worked for Steve Jobs :laughing:

7 Likes