Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

I only listen to John Cage, everything else is rubbish

2 Likes

i disagree.
in Jobs days, Apple products were well thought, durable, intuitive and near-zero hassle. (iTunes was the notable exception).
i still miss my G4. it was the best personal computer experience i ever had.

2 Likes

Hah! I was going through this thread saying “well, honesty i can think of good examples of every one of these techniques where someone has either used it subtly or blew out the walls with it but i can’t think of any examples that subvert and weren’t cheesy with risers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Berlin atonal is GREAT (sobs)

Techniques that meh me out.

1. “How to do your eight-ohh-eights” (hate the term - call it sub bass for f**k sake!).
  2. Trap hats and snares.
  3. Melodic playing of vocal chops (oh ehh ohh oh uhh ohh).
  4. Pitching down female vocals so they sound like someone has a bad trip, brain damage or is about to throw up.
  5. Hooks and drops.
  6. Too much singing so you barely can hear melodic parts.
  7. Too much harsh tones and overexposed high registers.
  8. Wavetable synthesis - overhyped.
  9. Modular for the sake of modular. At the end it sounds like 8 step sequencer running simple subtractive synth with short env treated by some saturator.
  10. Going backwards to 80’s and 90’s sounds and techniques - the whole nostalgia brain wash. Many times people are overcomplicating stuff with hw or sw setups, routings, configs just to end with 4 by 4 plonks that can be made on iPhone.

I must admit I’m an addict of tweaking decay over 909 hihat and 7 steps polyrhythm sequence lines. Just love it.

5 Likes

Buchla

1 Like

the problem is that too much excellent music was made in 80s & 90s, and it still rocks.
also, it was made without stacks of EQs ans still sounded good. a miracle, lost secret, and violation of all production laws by todays standards. such things naturally excite people.

Wavetable synthesis.

For some reason I never really like the sound of most wavetables. They usually all sound a bit the same.

Give me wavesculpting/bending/folding abilities and I’m much happier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They are everywhere for 5 years now…Time to end this…Definitely ! :triumph:

4 Likes

Thats too easy. I would like to hear a “proper” track challenge. Where everyone shows their über tracks without all the dreaded tricks.

Any chance of a poll so we can make a definitive list?

I’m hoping for a ‘NOW that’s what I call a technique that everyone loves but mehs you out’ compilation.

4 Likes

i think poll would not be right tool for this topic, because people have love/hate relationship with many of techniques mentioned here.

3 Likes

Good point , simple level/panning manipulation goes a long way for a ballanced mix . Today it seems that if you don’t have 20 plugins on each individual track and the masterbus you’re doing it wrong…

1 Like

some tutorial i’ve seen on youtube yesterday killed me:
„ok, let’s add another EQ to the chain to compensate frequency loss we made with previous EQ!“

10 Likes

haha yeah , you see the same thing happen in every domain where (post production) tools become more accesible or digitised . Same thing with photography for example , people won’t bother to take a good picture and then spend ages in photoshop finetuning their subpar image .

2 Likes

I meant this part worked for Steve Jobs :wink:

3 Likes

:point_up_2:This.

2 Likes

So good it needed telling twice.
:joy:

4 Likes

God, this is mainly why I started hardware in the first place. I was layering like 2-3 soft synths, all with tons plugins tone shaping, compression, and EQ… what a mess… lol

1 Like

yesterday i got a copy of Bitwig 8-track and discovered that DAW is not that bad if i just mimick the behaviour and feel of hardware.

2 Likes