Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

Or living in Miami and hearing “the” Reggaeton beat.

Over and over and over and over and over
and

2 Likes

The existence of “ASMR” channels suggest that someone likes it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not really a production technique but I can’t stand this female vocal trend that’s literally inescapable right now.

Not even sure if I can describe it but you have definitely heard it.
Kinda indie chick, whispery, purposely pronouncing things in a weird way.
It’s just so overdone and feels like every single girl who sings these days from YouTube to pop stars have the same exact voice. I hate it with a passion.

6 Likes

That ones where they sound like their mouths aren’t able to close all the way? Yep. So annoying.

2 Likes

Right!
Can’t stand it

is there a definitive example of the trend?

4 Likes

not really a “technique”, but anything that combines country music with hip hop is perceived by my mind as an abomination.

4 Likes

Rumble kicks on everything techno.

I’m admittedly more into minimal type techno myself. I’m trying to get into making it now and minimal/Detroit-ish stuff more where I’m trending. I’m a bit surprised when looking up techniques online and they all start with a rumble kick. I understand wanting to use it occasionally, but on everything?

Meh…:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Forgive my ignorance (I don’t make techno), but what is a rumble kick?

1 Like

It‘s as if the tail of the kick is extended, but with a sort of noisy, bassy, sub-resonant rumble.
The rumble fills out pretty much the whole space until the next kick comes in.

Edit: there‘s lots of youtube tutorials with endless effect chains in Ableton on this topic. Don‘t forget to like and subscribe though!

11 Likes

Imagine you’re listening to music and a lorry goes past outside, now make that your entire song

5 Likes

The only dynamic that matters is LOUD, i guess!

1 Like

It’s as if it’s droney dance music for giant sound systems in clubs or something

3 Likes

Anal? meh and bleh…

1 Like

Autotune

:facepunch:t6:
:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t6:
:microphone:

1 Like

so, Burial then? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The first time I heard Burial I thought “oh, it sounds like someone found the odd tuplet quantize options in Logic…”

4 Likes

Right now I’m working on an album of about 22 deep cuts that consist of nothing but the drop

3 Likes

I wanna say I saw an interview with him where he said he was using soundforge and just nudging drums until it looked like fishbones.

3 Likes

I can play a mean airhorn when you’re ready to take this on the road.

2 Likes