Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

Anything minimal, ambient, glitchy, distorted, noisy, monotonic and without structure, melody or harmony.

I often think I’m on the wrong forum :see_no_evil:

Music in general really pisses me off. Preparing to trade my gear for some high-grade origami paper

9 Likes

Multitracking. So overrated.

8 Likes

I actually agree with this.

And not just for the lols either.

2 Likes

I’m not even kidding, almost. I like to record this way, because it’s basically done. No endless fiddling with pointless details.

4 Likes

+1. No idea what they´re talking about…

All the hours spent on pointless fidling around on multitrack, which eventually ruined the feel…

2 Likes

round my way it’s Marvin Gaye

I hate it when funk music is funky, I just wish I could take all the funk out of it!

1 Like

I hate it when I be in the studio and dudes be like
’ hey man put the snare on the 7 and the 11 and then go get me some mrs. fields cookies" I’m like wtf do cookies have to do with the beat maaan

5 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Modular synths are very attractive to the engineer types with pretty much zero musical talent. You design a system and it’s wiring (patching), build it and then turn it on and it works. That’s what it’s about, not like composing songs or making traditional dance music. It’s a machine that’s built to do it’s thing with minimal human interaction.

Extra points if you soldered and assembled the modules yourself!

3 Likes

That’s the same thing, like electronic music is no real music, because it is not played by hand like the violin, the trumpet or the guitar?

Coming from someone without an attachment to modular…

Well the difference here is that the whole intent is to make a synth that produces music based on pre-set patching, with minimal input from the user. I never said it’s not real music that comes out nor did I actually valuate it against playing a guitar.

I actually find it extremely interesting and make music in a similar way, just using different tools.

Well you call people using modular „people without musical talent“ :wink:

I did not, I said that modular synths are very attractive to engineer types with pretty much zero musical talent. I know because I have friends like that, and I am glad to see them making music despite knowing nothing about musical theory and having zero skills in playing an instrument.

Google generative music. It’s all about making music with engineering or coding as opposed to playing or composing (altho you could argue that in this case, patching or coding = composing).

1 Like

Chords that consist of more than 1 note. Totally annoying.

5 Likes

At least in the case of some of the live-coding folks I know, I’d say that it’s definitely at the very least composition, and honestly just as much playing as someone who’s building sequences live.

2 Likes

Indeed. And don’t get me started on that “scale” crap… :grinning:

“What key are we in?” No no, none of that

3 Likes

What’s them Zoom pedals like?