Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

Adding a contact mic to a Kalimba is the musical equivalent of putting beard oil on your neckbeard.

11 Likes

What if itā€™s a mbira?

1 Like

Yep, and tongue and hang/hand pans, especially the $10,000 hand made by vegan jedi hippies with dreadlocks and 1000 friendship bracelets covering each forearm, where you have to fly to some remote island then trek up a mountain for 3 days wearing only ethically sourced hessian sandals and a palm leaf loincloth, to buy one.

Also test equipment, oh look I made a tape loop using 30 test oscillators because I donā€™t want to use conventional synths because no reason. :laughing:

12 Likes

Flutes too, unless whittled out of the bones of your vanquished enemiesā€¦

10 Likes

Techno started out melodic. But I take your point, a lot of ā€œmelodic technoā€ isnā€™t really that melodic, but just monotonous arps.

1 Like

Same deal. Thumb piano gets a pass though.

Which reminds me - toy pianos are for children, you already took their action figures and their Crayons for props on your youtube video, leave the poor kids something to play with, or Iā€™m calling childline.

7 Likes

Well all that artisanal chewing tobacco ainā€™t gonna pull itself from under your fingernails.

1 Like

Note to self: sample antique spitoon collection.

7 Likes

Spending many thousands on modular then recording it with a crappy phone mike. ā€œBut doesnā€™t it LOOK amazing!ā€

6 Likes

Avocado and Morello Cherry flavour or Mung Bean and Goji Berry? Asking for a friend.

4 Likes

Somewhat overwhelming in thatā€¦ I donā€™t think thereā€™s a musical device/technique that hasnā€™t been mentioned in this thread :laughing:

2 Likes

We wonā€™t stop until we have ridiculed every technique and instrument, welcome to the great reset.

18 Likes

And most ā€žbanging technoā€œ is not banging but boring. No groove, no nothing, just distorted nonsense. imo :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Sequencers with more than four steps always feel a bit pompous and overblown - superfluous, even.

5 Likes

Tedious monotony, 1/2 bar 8 step sequences were shit in the 80ā€™s, and time hasnā€™t been kind to them.

You could have left it there, anyone who does not play every note, preferably on a real instrument, but failing that on a MPE controller should not be allowed to own recording equipment, not in 2k21.

3 Likes

Notes are soā€¦ standard.

4 Likes

Damn, Iā€™m cancelling myself on that faux pas.

Iā€™ll return once I have purged myself of any remotely conventional instruments, anyone know a good farmers market to buy gourds?

3 Likes

Not worth it; you must grow your own.

2 Likes

going to make yourself a mbira?
Gourds are so bourgeouis anyhow.
Just get some nice rocks to bonk together.
Speaks to the people more.

3 Likes

Apparently I have to grow it now. I might fill my time in the meantime learning to make an Ocarina from a Sea Urchin fossil.

3 Likes