Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

Massages neckbeard oil thoughtfully in appreciation.

11 Likes

I was worried about using rocks, I might get confused with a rock star.

I appreciate the support, please consider donating some quinoa seedlings, it really helps the channel grow and keeps my Sea Monkeys fed.

3 Likes

Drum rolls and cymbal hits are so passƩ.

1 Like

or a wanna be Be-bonker.
Rather, Be-bonk was a musical style long before rock was. Credit where credit is due, manā€¦

1 Like

Be-Bonk - with a donk. How far off can it be?

1 Like

Sometimes I listen to the last 30 seconds of The Call of Cthulhu by Metallica on a loop in my sleep. The ultimate in big rock endings.

I donā€™t know why anyone does big rock endings since that came out, they all sound shit after that.

Even to this day Iā€™ve no idea who plays them drums, but it wasnā€™t bloody Lars, thatā€™s for sure.

Just another of my thoughts.

3 Likes

the topic that just wont quit.
like Lars should have

2 Likes

I just donā€™t know why producers today donā€™t do something original, like for example sampling/remixing 80ā€™s or 90ā€™s tracks, or taking an old upbeat song and remaking it much slower, then get a vocalist to sing it in a really melancholy depressive way.

Reckon we could do with some new ideas like these.

8 Likes

Fading anything out or coming to a slow conclusion at all can get in the sea. Just make sure your guitar shorts the entire venue and club upstairs (preferably without killing the performers), turning off light, sound and competence all in one fell swoop of unexpected drama.

(A true story; not my guitar, I was just there to press play on the backing track CD, which is a technique that has obviously been completely overdone to death).

5 Likes

you might be on to something here thoughā€¦
youve gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette, right?

2 Likes

Think we need more synth pro youtubers proving that they drink too, I for one am convinced that most of them must be androids, as it is well known that drinks would short out their circuits. With the worrying rise of AI in recent years Iā€™m always comforted when I see a youtuber proving their humanity with a beverage.

5 Likes

When was the last time you saw any synth / music youtuberā€™s legs for that matter?

4 Likes

This becomes Elektronautā€™s psycho therapy thread! Let it all out!

Learning a lot as well :smiley:

4 Likes

One of my favorite moments when iā€™m feeling down is to listen to some classic stompy industrial or graver shit and the magicā€¦ is in the vibe. The old stuff is not at all as dynamic as i remember.

2 Likes

And the amphetamines.

6 Likes

dub everything, just stop that. Iā€™d rather hear you dubb nothing
and hand clapping, what kind of evil spirit spawned that awful ideaā€¦ keep your hands apart and never let them touchā€¦

where are you going generative music whatā€™s that you say you donā€™t know? well I donā€™t know either so stop itā€¦ trust me Brian Eno got lucky let it go

the mixture of r&b and gospel, you canā€™t sing to a booty and sing to god at the same time just stop that itā€™s terrible

clown make up does not enhance rap skills, go wash your face

4 Likes

:joy:

But snapping is even worse :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Laffed hard :joy:

Thatā€™s between you and god :smiley:

3 Likes

Good thread. Feels like Iā€™m joining a bit too late to give a serious reply, but I have no sense of humor, so enjoy.

I agree entirely with @darenager 's original list, but also think some of these tropes can become interesting when deliberately abused or turned sideways. Pitch-modulated shimmer sounds twisted, sidechaining can create almost physical dynamics when used more creatively than for lazy auto-mixing, compressors are awesome tools in feedback loops, random is alright on timbre but shit for rhythm and pitch, etc.

One thing Iā€™ve gotten pretty sick of in contemporary electro is the snappy resonant unison detune bass with sequenced filter cutoff. Way fucking overdone on records from the likes of CPU, brokntoys, Mechatronica (NB: I really really like these labels). Explore more ideas for godā€™s sake, the genre is wide open to weird timbres.