Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

“I just made a (sht 2 bar) banger in 2 minutes”

Edit-that the drip one…So bad its good.

1 Like

why not themselves?
let’s think.
if someone advertises this stuff — it appears to be demanded.
so, people are willing to pay for not learning the basics of music theory.
but they certainly hope to be in beatport top-100. and i bet some of them are there.

actually, those midi chord packs are real-world „automatic“ music (contrary to something we could imagine when reading/watching sci-fi).
like video calls is not a cool sci-fi thing from the future anymore, but ultra dumb thing for people with smartphones crashing into poles and other objects, because they are too busy with chatter to look around.

That and The Drip plug in advert are the worst!

4 Likes

Unnecessary menu diving. Some people accept overly convoluted workflows with devices with a poor UI as part of a process of achieving a Jedi like status of mastery of the device for a few brownie points among their peers, but i’d rather buy something similar with a fast fluid well thought out layout and get my ideas down quickly.

Music making is supposed to fun, or for me at least.

2 Likes

“Soundscapes” using one-trick pedals with little substance/foundation. Artists convey style and feeling through technique, and they still sound like themselves through very different setups. If the sound “is” the pedal, then why not treat that sound with the same reverence as a sample? You wouldn’t see me posting a video to Instagram of a dry simple guitar note through a CBA Mood expecting a bunch of positive reaction, but I would happily try to use a CBA Mood to sparingly augment a particularly unstructured part of a track.

As an example, I doubt that many people could effectively use this monstrosity (I’m intimidated by it!), but I can’t wait to hear what Knobs does with it, and I have zero doubt that it will absolutely still sound like Knobs:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ1P_wVnJRw/?igshid=1t5cg9t8oloxe

1 Like

innovation stifles music…
I’d rather hear a piano and a mischievous hand to play it any day.

1 Like

ambient drones…especially modular

5 Likes

Not a technique but I hate people referring to their sequencer as the “Brain” of their set up.

8 Likes

Haha! I honestly don’t do the above for brownie points but I do actually enjoy menu diving. I think it comes from my 1st synth being a Wavestation. It was my only synth for years and I just loved the feeling I got from discovering new hidden things.

1 Like

LOL. I never liked people referring to their studio as their “lab” as if they refer to themselves as a mad scientist.

7 Likes

dancing while making music

9 Likes

Curious, do you feel Elektron Workflow to be easy and immediate? Many who ite talked to are turned off by the menus and want one knob per function

So true. One shouldn’t dance to ones own music. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

So…

Music should not be fun.
Music is serious business.
Music is not for experimentation.
Music is not for dancing.
Music is only for professionals.
Music may never be derivative.
Music may never be innovative.
Music may not contain noise.
Music may not have random elements.
Music may not be mastered to the creator’s vision.
Music may not be mastered using the prevailing techniques of the period.
Music may not be mastered using techniques of yesteryear.

Hmm…

I guess not displacing air is really the true course.

Nice! I’m making music right now!!

18 Likes

crying is acceptable though. :joy:

5 Likes

not a technique so much as a performance enhancement…DJ Fingers in videos while jamming. or finger stab pointing to the beat ha ha ha.

6 Likes

:smiley:

If I may be hypocritical for one moment due to my earlier posts… :wink: I agree!

Please don’t raise your arms either

1 Like

You’ve just described the entire genre of vaporwave

5 Likes

Just stumbled upon a youtube channel with dozens of old and new songs that were “Slowed & Reverbed”, meaning just that. Slowed like 15 percent and a tiny amount of reverb added. The videos had millions of views. Baffling!

1 Like