Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

I don’t mind those, real ‘playing disco records at the wrong speed’ vibes. Wait till you hear these:

3 Likes

Oooh, can someone do one with really bad tinnitus?

2 Likes

hygiene is the most important techinique

Posting on Elektronauts.

(this thread made me laugh a lot after a long day, so thank you. @Fin25, I think you need a podcast).

1 Like

Nah, too busy devestating the music industry with all my sick beats.

Also, which sort of podcaster would I be?

Self-help whisperer?
Conspiracy nugget?
Post-hospital journalist?

Or none of the above?

3 Likes

All in one

2 Likes

After reading the Sequential forum, tried this on the Prophet~6 and OB~6.

Nah, it’s crap.

A couple of features someone always complains are missing in a new synth, even when totally irrelevant to the product:

• micro-tuning
  • self-oscillating filter
  • any mention of 432 Hz
1 Like

I made an acoustic album with a H4 recorder and an iPad, mixed it with shitty in ears phones (no choice, on the road) and the result (tons of hours of work) still sounds better in mp3 than most of my music collection.
Time spent in the mixing is a luxury many studios can’t afford in the race of these modern times.

1 Like

Old news.

I tune all my gear to the frequency of Greta Thunberg’s post-breakfast flatulence.

Woke up this morning to the news that the ozone layer had repaired itself…

Coincidence?

9 Likes

Turning gear sideways to fit it in the video frame. I know it’s petty, but that’s an instant x out of the video for me.

If you’re considering doing this, please just shoot from the side, or get a wider angle lens, or a taller tripod, or ANYTHING so I know you aren’t constantly rewiring your brain making left = up and so on. How do you even manage that cognitively with pots? Is 2 o’clock the new 5’oclock? What about things with screens? Why would you sacrifice your carefully trained muscle memory just to make sure people can see all your gear at the same time? Arrrghhhhh

(exception for battle-style turntables, that’s a functionality thing)

1 Like

Ey ey oooo! Boomer joke alert! No one under 30 knows what the ozone layer is.

6 Likes

Bass frequencies. Everything below 200hz is just cringe.

2 Likes

so what you’re saying is you hate electronic music?

:smile:

But seriously for me:

• AUTOTUNING VOCALS EVER FOR ANY REASON

• ‘honking’ trance leads (which is most of them)

• snare rolls

• purely dj tool tracks that just build up and breakdown exactly as you expect

• ‘drumloop’ samples used to spice up boring pop tracks, common in the mid 90s

• quantizing everything

• crushed mixes with no dynamic range

• ‘middle eastern’ samples/melodies thrown in haphazardly to give off an air of exoticism

• ‘too digital’-sounding arrangements where there’s no fatness or warmness in either sounds or processing - very common in late 80s/early 90s mainstream stuff and the old converters everyone used made it sound even worse

1 Like

New E.P. title :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or just new E.P.?

2 Likes

DJs and performers acting like their knobs are hot as lava.

The plague that is silence before the beat drops followed by a boat horn like trance synth sound. Stop it.

Edit (how can I forget): DJs redlining their digital mixer. Making it impossible for a live act to compensate in perceived volume loss, destroying people’s ears, and potentially the club system. I mean this has to be a “technique” since it’s so common.

5 Likes

my favorite sample is that “woop!” with a lot of reverb

1 Like

conversely, people who don’t or can’t dance shouldn’t make dance music (and i’m being serious this is an opinion that I hold)

1 Like

gunshot
glass shattering
DJ! D-D-D-DJ!

2 Likes