Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

no

it’s his fault :grin:

5 Likes

Since someone brought up jazz, i was reviewing some versions of the standard “Stella by Starlight”.

This one was the most annoying to me. Lots of wasted notes, as if they’re trying to one-up each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjUANhT6l4

Miles and his band sound much more relaxed. If you got it, you don’t always have to flex it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGx1HvLV_NQ

The vocal version are usually the best for learning a standard, because it’s the least amount of straying and showboating

3 Likes

He doesn’t really do that though.
I’m talking about really throwing your hand up in the air after touching a knob. It looks like a show element and fake, and it is :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:joy: Love it

1 Like

you might be talking about Guetta hands aka nitros hands, and I concur but the worst has gotta be when jazz hands, nitros hands, and rap hands get all mixed up at the same time the roof is on fire, because when that happens they don’t want no water and they just let the mofo burn… it’s terrible

2 Likes

I saw Unsane in the mid-90’s (their drummer was also in Foetus at the time) and it was one of the most memorable rock shows I had seen up to that point. I wore that gnarly Total Destruction Tour shirt forever…

3 Likes

Compression. Barely use it as everything is already flattened out by saturation/distortion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pyramid is 4/4 isn’t it?

1 Like

I got to saw them three times, they were phenomenal every time. No bullshit & tightest rock band I’ve ever seen. They’re definitely a top 3 band for me, not a single dud in their discography either. Sad to see them quit, but Human Impact is pretty good and I guess 30 years is a pretty good run for an underground band like them.

3 Likes

that feel when the beat drops in dawless jam #36545462 mpc3000 sp1200 octatrack buchla easel makenoise shared system moog matriarch Jupiter 8

4 Likes

I looked it up and yes, you’re complete right! Which contradicts my point entirely haha 🥲

2 Likes

Lol this kills me

1 Like

still a very non 4/4 feeling 4/4

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s heavily swung like a clave and kinda resembles a pyramid according to this explainer:

4 Likes

modular since it’s about to become the new normal.

i tried to like it, but every random youtube modular jam i watched quickly develops into just weird noises and/or overdistorted nonsense.
but weird noises & overdistorted nonsense are totally achievable with much cheaper equipment — proven by me back in the 90s, i even had a couple of DIY cassette releases :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Kick drums

2 Likes

I would never come up with such a structure on my own.
That is, because i hate it.

:smiley:

1 Like

Limmy is the man :slight_smile:

1 Like

re-release the tapes on BC.