Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

sqelchy goodness :grinning:

2 Likes

Nessy squelchgood?

1 Like

any beat needs less cowbell

1 Like

I f*****g hate arpeggios and using drum loops I didnā€™t produce myself.

Whenever I read a review going ā€œOh, but it doesnā€™t have an arpeggiatorā€, and that ends up in the minus section, Iā€™m like ā€œSo thereā€™s no algoritm in there playing the synth for you? Aaaw.ā€

And drum loops are always over produced. Mineā€™s not much good, but at least theyā€™re not soaked with someone elseā€™s idea that reverb and grain must be part of everything or itā€™s not club.

3 Likes

wtf are you reading dude?

6 Likes

Stop trying to be cool and edgy.

Everyone likes 303ā€™s.

17 Likes

Seems like Iā€™ve touched a nerve here :joy:

But seriously, I really do hate them :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe this is where Elektron need to head considering the level of support for 303s :thinking:

6 Likes

This thread is all over the place. Itā€™s almost like taste is a thing :upside_down_face:

18 Likes

IĀ“m afraid thereĀ“s nothing new here but I especially dislike:

• Key changes, I think itĀ“s usually a semitone up.

• Risers and 2 to 4 to 8 to 16 snare rolls.

• EDM.

• Sirens.

• Abuse of polyrhythms, polymetrics, etc., overcomplexity with no reason.

• Happy blips and blops.

• Autotune.

3 Likes

Haha yes, a true masterpiece this recordā€¦ and he seems like a really nice fellow.

I was especially amazed by his drums, especially the shakers / noisy hats always evolving and moving around throughout the album. I think itā€™s a combination of the Buchlaā€™s parametric eq and very short delay + lfo on pan or some sort of wizardry. I tried to replicate it using a chorus and playing with feedback. I personally really like this effect (not sure itā€™s what Adam Jay was referring to?) , when used carefully it brings life and balance on a generally boring mono track :wink:

Out of topic I also read that besides all his fancy gear he used the snare from the volca drum on his last album, which still sounds like crap but worked well within the context of the album. Something to meditate here :sunglasses:

1 Like

The distinction between ā€œMusicā€, ā€œSoundā€ and ā€œNoiseā€.

Everything we hear is a mix, resonance and interference of these three essential archetypes of sonic frequencies.

2 Likes

Iā€™d kind of like to see someone post a song that includes them all. Itā€™s be the ā€œMost Unwanted Songā€, Elektronaut edition.

That was Harry Potterā€™s DJ friend right?

9 Likes

Glad you canā€™t do all these awful techniques on a simple looping device

3 Likes

Velocity just opening a filter, yeah it really doesnā€™t cut it. Only more complex synths like the DXs have natural feeling velocity, although my Analog Keys does quite well there. It was a revelation to me as an 80s era dude when velocity was King! how expressive a monosynth can be with out velocity. The trigger modes alone offer a ton of phrasing possibilities.

Nice

Easy solution: just call it Blues Minor and say you know Theory

1 Like

Not where my mind went when I read it.

1 Like

I think we read the same stuff :slight_smile:
I kept Volca coz itā€™s cheap and i also like this snare. Itā€™s so terribly crunchy.

1 Like

I only got a few hours of sleep and still have eye boogers, so what do I know?

I stayed up all night thinking about how much I hate those goddamn tiny beats from the early 2000ā€™sā€¦

2 Likes

using ears sometimes get a bit meh so i some times make music with the speakers off to get a new sound

5 Likes