Teenage Engineering - Field Desk

You don’t have to imagine, such systems already exist, with greater capacity and less vendor lockin.

4 Likes

Oooh!!

Problem is I have no real use for it now because I have already built / currently building all the stuff I need from timber haha.

1 Like

The vendor lockin of… M5 screws?

1 Like

Haha, that’s what I was thinking. The rails etc are part of the system, but you can freely make your own tops/shelves and attach anything with the standard bolt holes. If you need shorter rails you could buy them or get out the hacksaw.

TE Promises a series of svelte and fragile parts. But the thing that most perplexes me is the 75kg / 165lb max load. I don’t have a problem, in principle, with paying thousands for a desk, but it shouldn’t collapse if I sit on it.

Aesthetically, formica covered plywood also seems like a strange choice, particularly when there are so many beautiful (and strong) marine plywoods available.

1 Like

just wait till you all see the bag they just brought out…

The original was only £2.50

6 Likes

3 Likes

Now I’ve paid that sort of money for a bag before, but it was actually useful. That strap looks like it’ll be about as comfortable as hemorrhoids after a couple of trips out, not to mention the complete lack of adjustment…

And it looks like a dog’s dinner.

Seriously, my wife managed to make something better than that in her first sewing lesson.

Shouldn’t single out TE where shite expensive bags are concerned, this is the tip of a very silly iceberg.

1 Like

This how I carry my MnM around:

2 Likes

The bag price isn’t even that shocking. 1500 for a table with a max load of 75kg is shocking.

I want them all.

3 Likes

I want that goddamn bucket rc821 posted. When my weed stash reaches that little guys hands, I’ll know I’m set for the year.

3 Likes
IKEA Bag Derail

Joking aside, my favorite IKEA bag is the FRAKTA storage bag.

During my boat restoration project, I kept all of my tools, paints, solvents and adhesives in FRAKTA storage bags in the back of my Corolla. No fiberglass dust escaped, and it was easy to move gear from car to boat and back at the beginning and end of the work day.

2 Likes

My recent IKEA bucket hat purchase now seems like a bargain.

7 Likes

I’m not freaking out because I never figured out that TE are a design company with the temerity to release a, gasp, table.

I just think a $1500 aluminum and plastic folding table is hilarious.

2 Likes

That’s how I feel about it. I’ll hard pass on this TE product.

That’s the beauty of this century: anyone can be a “designer” now! :laughing: just like anyone can be a “producer”… I guess you just get yourself a MacBook pro and you’re off to the races

1 Like

I guess that using the same argument you could also say anyone can be a “photographer” now, get yourself a smartphone and you’re off to the races.

1 Like

I feel the same way about some photographers

1 Like

You don’t think availability of such means is the beauty of our times? Would you rather only a few had access?

1 Like

You seem to be repeating what I wrote. Glad we’re on the same page.

Yes, it’s beautiful. And what we get are either some really great things or $1600 plywood tables that some people defend because it comes from “a design firm”

2 Likes