Teenage Engineering - Field Desk

That must have an MSRP of $50,000!

1 Like

is the surprise here that you are actually testing teenage engineering floor tile?

To take all your pocket operators to the park

I wasn’t sure if it was large enough for my 420 POs, but surprisingly yes it does!

1 Like

I think Teenage Engineering are genius.
From the attention-economical point of view, with this stupidly overpriced hardware store table they are getting so much feedback and on the internet and social media, it is priceless.

2 Likes

Maybe she is more aware of design objects value than most of us then. I am always surprised of the price of quality home equipments such as curtains (I would buy basic IKEA stuff if it was only me…). Music production equipments don’t look so expensive then in comparison

2 Likes

Thats massive :u7981: i wonder how much they sold already, but you got that field mixer anyway, now you need your desk.

literally the only reason to hate on those tables is the deformation over time or even brand new, which doesn’t matter for paper plates and napkins haha

1 Like

Exactly. It’s great organic marketing and every response video, article, and comment is advertising TE and getting their brand in people’s minds again through the onslaught of noise out there. They get dozens of YouTube videos to mention their brand and not have to give them one free thing.

It’s always products people can just ignore as well, but I bet many go to the website to gawk at the new “hipster/jump the shark product” and then while there they check what else is in stock or if any new updates are available. I also wouldn’t doubt many hardcore TE fans buy products they wouldn’t normally simply in spite of the negativity around it.

At this point it makes sense to keep doing this. 1. It’s fun to design new products. 2. The free marketing is nice. 3. If someone buys the table, money.

1 Like

We complain now but in four years, TE will announce that it is discontinuing the Field Desk because they are switching from Formica to Wilsonart laminate tops.

The Field Desk MkII will list at 2399 Euros. Prices of the older Field Desk will drop to a completely reasonable 1299 Euros.

So stop your whining…

3 Likes

Is it just me who sees the potential in this of filtering down to a relatively high end modular system that could be used for all sorts of studio furniture, shelves, stands and racks?

Like I don’t think this implementation is quite it… but imagine a system that will easily conform to whatever weird studio setup requirement you have, but that can be easily repurposed once your need changes.

3 Likes

Field Shelf
a metaphysical meditation on space itself.

NO FREE SHIPPING

6 Likes

Why are “synthfluencers” even “reacting” to the Field Desk? (Besides clickbait) TE is not strictly a music company - and nowhere are they positioning it as a “studio table” or related to music creation. It’s very cleary a design object and priced as such.

3 Likes

I think it’s just to poke fun a little bit. Of course TE can design and release whatever they want, and to be fair to them, many high end furniture designers also sell coffee tables etc that cost thousands with similar marketing and they also charge shipping and take 3 months to deliver.

I think if Roland, Moog, Korg or Elektron came out with a reclining Eames style armchair or a dining table or a book case for 2 grand people would also poke fun. I think it’s in good spirit though and no doubt TE are fully aware the kind of buzz and chatter this release would generate.

2 Likes

Moog, Korg, and Elektron are synth companies, though. (Roland is a giant AV, electronics, and instrument conglomerate, so is a bad fit for this list). If they made stuff out of the synth lane, it wouldn’t be crazy to be suspicious.

Teenage Engineering is a design firm. They have designed everything from Polaroid cameras to game boys to modular LED light fixtures for IKEA. This is exactly what they do. It’s weird to poke fun at them for it because you’re fixated on one of their MoMA exhibits.

It’s like looking at Yamaha and freaking out about jet skis. Synths are just a thing they did once.

3 Likes

All good points, especially like the Yamaha analogy.

I guess it’s down to perception, a lot of synth fans see TE as the OP-1 and Pocket operators company, and not a multi faceted design firm. Maybe the Field Desk will change that perception for a lot of people.

3 Likes

Not sure I fully agree. If you go to their store the majority of their products are music related or accessories for these.

Can’t really compare a desk in the field range presumably for field products with jet skis!

1 Like

Hypothetically speaking… An Elektronaut could fly me to pretty much anywhere in the US, we could go to the hardware store, get all the tools and materials we need, and I could teach you how to build a Platform Desk, and fly back home, all for less than this TE desk…

2 Likes

Imagine indeed!

1 Like

Not quite what I was talking about bud.

1 Like