Teenage Engineering - Field Desk

Everything they make creates a stir, good or bad, that is a good thing :slight_smile:

For what it is itā€™s beautifully designed for sure. Super minimalistic. Think a lot of us still see TE as a sort of music instrument brand, but actually they are more a designer brand. So high prices for highly engineered stuff.

Still, poking fun a bit isnā€™t that bad right? I think they love the attention either way. Their marketing is genius.

8 Likes

Just ordered, cant wait for it to drop in the mail.

4 Likes

Didnā€™t know for the Machinedrum.
I checked the credits to be sure.

Unfun fact: these instruments are also costing a fortune nowadays. For a good reason though.

2 Likes

people are forgetting that TE is mainly design company.

7 Likes

Reading the linked interview with Jesper. Looking at the pictures of the Audio solutions Colossus, looking closerā€¦ it rests on two Field tables. Strong minimalist table or light Colossus :grin:

looks like marx was wrong

5 Likes

I would even call them a lifestyle brand at this point, but yeah, of course we here view them as a music instrument brand first. Thatā€™s our relationship with TE.

I donā€™t necessarily think that their pricing strategy is a marketing ploy as much as a ā€œpositiveā€ side effect of their view on product development/engineering. At least from what I have gathered from reading interviews.

The memes are hilarious though. And I think they are necessary in a consumerism society. But itā€™s a damn beautiful desk at the same time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ā€œMarx was rightā€ ironically says OP-1 factory sketch sequencer. They know the game.

And the first thing the user has to do is erase it, which is kind of funny and sad at the same time. They absolutely know the game, and are playing it well.

1 Like

Bit defensive.

1 Like

ā€¦canĀ“t see any fun in it, sorry. this is the standard answer if someone breaks through the shitstorm

1 Like

btw. my post is hidden by community flagsā€¦what a bullshit

2 Likes

And thatā€™s what youā€™re doing, is it?

Breaking through the shit storm?

I think itā€™s best not to take anything in this thread remotely seriously, because I donā€™t think any of it requires it.

Youā€™re right, that is bullshit.

7 Likes

Cant wait till i get mineā€¦ my other TE products are gonna look so good on this tableā€¦

4 Likes

Hmmā€¦
I think they bought the thrift store stuff, put it in their trendy bar/brewery tap/internet start up and then raked in the cash from those things. I donā€™t think it was ever very anti-consumption/capitalism really. Anti-corporate maybeā€¦ in as much as people wanted to make something they could then sell out to corporations. Most of the micro-breweries are owned by BigBeerCo. Inc. now. Bare brick was an aesthetic not a means to avoid using new paint.

3 Likes

in fairness, itā€™s fancy expensive plywood.

:wink:

Very interesting. Do you know on which topic it was? I canā€™t find the original link

I love it so much, I ordered two!

6 Likes

This one seems overkill, as it can fold up.

1 Like

canā€™t wait for cuckoos mega tutorial on this

12 Likes