Teenage Engineering TP-7 Tape recorder

I wouldn’t use this for recording stuff out and about for several reasons, I’d use an actual field recorder for that, or even just my phone tbh. For me this would mostly be interesting as a little tactile ‘sound grabber’ in a mini performance setup, but no looping and sync make that a non-starter so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

These TE threads are starting to hurt my head. I’m not sure I can explain it better than that. I probably don’t have sufficient income to offer a more comprehensive explanation.

3 Likes

You could say that it has you in a bit of a spin

you-spin-me-round-dead-or-alive

3 Likes

I was told no one would ever see that video. you’ll be hearing from my well dressed attorney.

1 Like

So this isnt real tape but does it matter? The New Binson Echorec by TRex is retailing at £1600 and isnt tape channels(4). Why do you need physical tape ?

yes but this one goes to eleven.

1 Like

I was hoping for a porta.

I’m out.

2 Likes

with a whiff of og playstation

4 Likes

I did especially like the interview scenario where you’re asked a personal question, and you can lean forward and press the spinning reel to halt the recording. That’s a real time-saver because previously I’d have to lean forward and press the pause button.

I also look forward to reading about some hipster snitch being fished out of the Hudson because they heard the motor whirring under his shirt.

10 Likes

So TE is going for the 60’s spy cosplay look now …?

4 Likes

Looks great I think. Not interested at all but seems like a fun gadget for sure.

1 Like

I’d be interested if you can slow/speed up the wheel when recording to mess with the recorded pitch. Probably isn’t a thing though.

1 Like

looks absolutely wonderful. first time i’ve genuinely wanted a TE product. but too spicy for me when i could buy an Arp 2600, flagship Elektron box, or half a Buchla Easel Command for the same money

4 Likes

Uhm. How is this useful, like really useful in the context of music making? Am I missing something? Or is this for journalists? Like someone said, if this was a four-track recorder, or eight track it would be more interesting.

3 Likes

This is beautiful, but it seems to go against TE’s philosophy in a lot of ways…it does one simple thing fancily, rather than a multitude of complicated things simply. Like, the OP-1 and mixer are marvels at packing immense functionality into small, elegant packages. This takes one thing you can already do easily with your phone and makes it more complicated and expensive, if more fun to do.

I do like that they’ve basically revived the iPod click wheel! I miss that thing.

5 Likes

this is what i really hoped for aswell

still might be possible in theory but I havent found that feature in the manual

For me I could see it being useful in a music making context if it could be synced and have looped playback. Also I did see that there was a playback speed setting in the manual but it requires a button combo and I’m dubious about how usable it would be in a live context. As usual with TE stuff this feels more than a bit form over function, and I think they’ve designed it for a somewhat different use case than what I’m trying to imagine it in.

Wouldn’t the wheel rotor just add unnecessary electrical noise to the whole thing? Not sure I understand the point of that.

1 Like

Kinda wish they just moved all of the OP-1 tape functionality over to a pocket size field recorder. This is half way there but the OP-1 tape still seems away more creative/versitile/useful.

Im really on the fence on this one.

2 Likes

Is there any truth to the rumour that unless you can present a valid Hipster Beard, you’re legally not allowed to buy this?