Teenage Engineering TP-7 Tape recorder

Cue the off-white leather shoulder strap case for this the TX6 and the new mic accessory.

A budding cashed up 2023 version of Hunter S. Thompson loaded with a bottle of ether, blotters and head full of acid will be all set.

4 Likes

These little guys are sub $400, and get the play/scratch side done pretty well.

8 Likes

Hopefully it atleast comes to the manual, since OG OP-1 and Field can both do this. Mess with the tape via encoder forwards or backwards and change the recording. You can even shuttle with the transport arrows forwards and back, or switch to reverse recording so it’s recording back up the tape in the opposite direction.

1 Like

this is what would elevate it to being a really creative tape tool rather than just an really beautiful recorder.

Other than the stupid headphone ‘dongle’!

Damn, I was really hoping for a two channel mini XLR recorder with nice preamps. Do we think this is the last of the field system products?

Stop it! Now I want that!

All the same, TE now has three recording solutions, counting the OP-1 Field, and none of them properly mixes and multitracks in the same box, or allows this interaction with each other.

This is a fundamental part of producing and with three devices out there where none can do this or all of them together, is a bit odd.

I’m thinking the firmware roadmap has something in store that will remedy this.

1 Like

That is probably intentional on the product roadmap TM

1 Like

Teenage Engineering.

1 Like

I do really admire how they’ve set this up as an ecosystem. The modularity, and variety of ways to configure the elements seems super fun.

It’s a shame that the prices aren’t quite so playful, but that’s how they roll.

because that what the tape is : a tape?

Virtual-tape would be a more accurate marketing description I guess, but I think they assume that most people know it’s not real magnetic tape but an emulation of that experience to some degree.

This is the best looking device in the field range, I love the industrial design. Give the designers a day off and then brief them on making a (non bendy) metal OPZ field (keep the price the same though).

2 Likes

its actually just called Tp-7 field recorder on their website

1 Like

Oh right yeah, I mistook the topic name to be the actual product name. I had another look through the product page and they do say “tape reel sensation - the center piece of the TP–7 is the motorized tape reel.” but I would say these semantics are the least of anyone’s concerns about this device :stuck_out_tongue:

Guess the OP-Z Field is this time next year lol

Been looking forward to this one but was hoping it had some built in external mics for field recording rather then hook up to the CM-8 or whatever its called

1 Like

Sounds like a great Friday night

1 Like

Keep the same price? In your dreams :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But a op-z field i would probably pat for, all time favorite gadget.

1 Like

5 Likes