Teenage Engineering TP-7 Tape recorder

Does actually have tape inside:

(Coincidentally that’s how I made music ages ago, manually moving the tape or controlling the speed … I even made hoover riffs with the later method :stuck_out_tongue: … because I had nothing …)

12 Likes

I’ve been critical of their stuff in the past and this is out of my price range but I love this.

1 Like

Looks beautiful, as anything by TE, but I find really hard to justify the price when the phone you already have in your pocket covers exactly the same needs and function.

I am baffled by this. I don’t understand why it needs to spin. A tape recorder spins because it is unspooling the physical medium to which material is recorded. This is digital, and it accomplishes the same task as the other buttons that are literally right there. It’s not connected to anything, it’s just…spinning

That said, as a metaphor, a freely spinning motor unconnected to any useful mechanism hits the nail on the head.

That looks dope!! And affordable :ok_hand: I wonder why it’s mono though, there’s a cool euro module from Error Instruments that I like that’s the same there must be a good reason for it, 'cause tape players of my youth were definitely stereo… (I am not a tape scientist)

1 Like
9 Likes

This is very cool. Is there something like that which can record as well as play back?

So the TX-6 mixer requires the TX-7 in order to ever record multii-track.

Sure makes the 1010 Blue Box look more compelling as a multi-channel recorder mixer!

1 Like

It looks really nice but also looks a bit like a CD Discman if they were in the Stars Wars universe.

1 Like

wonderful design

It definitely has a psychiatrist / reporter / writer type vibe to it

more of a dictaphone market. John Malkovich rehearsing his lines. A scientist recording findings. Knox interviewing Eckart

Super nice tho

Would look perfect on a desk in the video game Control

2 Likes

All the stuff they’re coming out with looks great. I just can’t afford any of it. I mean, I guess I own their flagship model, the op-1 field and I use it almost every day but man, I sure would use this recorder all the time. Oh well, I have my iPhone (voice memos) and op-1 field. That’ll do the trick for now. Look away from the shiny new object! Look away!

1 Like

It looks really good. They deserve the design awards.

3 Likes

This doesn’t do anything I need, but it’s so beautiful that I wish it did.

4 Likes

haha this deck was basically TE if they existed in the mid 2000s! wouldnt be surprised if it influenced them

Its still one of the most beautiful and fun pieces of equipment ive ever used, (sadly mine stopped working years ago) but thats coming from someone who isnt a dj and dislikes the degrading qualities of real tape and vinyl.

I just find motorized tape/vinyl stimulated movement as such a joyous way of viewing and interacting with audio!

i see the TP-7 (and their OB-4 speaker) as successors to that technics deck and although im probably in the minority im just happy things like that still exist.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen these before. Currently I’m using a mini MusicPublicKingdom portable turntable in combination with Mixfader DJ, so they cover my scratch bases. I just really like the idea of performing live, capturing a vocal sample and then instantly starting scratching it. Don’t get me wrong though, I’d still love an sc1000.

IMG_0193

1 Like

I wish I’d get how Chris Morris relates to all this :frowning:

It would make a pretty cool Walkman.

Also, I just read the manual, and this think has Bluetooth LE MIDI. The manual doesn’t say what it’s for, though. Synced multitracking would be great.

$1.5K

:joy:

I love it!