Tell me about your recording setup

I’m putting together a new recording rig. I’m getting a new Mac Mini (maxed out M2 Pro) that will be running Logic Pro. I’m just trying to decide on what interface to buy (I need audio and MIDI). I’m leaning towards an RME unit (probably UFX+).

I’m recording vocals, synths, drum machines, guitars, bass, and percussion. Mic wise I’ll be using a Neumann U67/Soundelux Elux 251/various other Neumann & Shure mics. Mics (and everything else) are going through high end preamps - API/Neve/GT Vipre.

Tell me about your recording setup and what all you’re recording with it.

2 Likes

I have a Scarlett 18i8 for guitar & vocals but most of the time I just record Digitone/Digitakt/Syntakt over USB audio into OBS on a laptop. Phone set up as a wireless camera and just ready to go with nothing more than a single USB-B to USB-C cable. IMO the faster it is to set up something the more inclined you are to just do it.

I think most synth manufacturers are sleeping on USB audio capabilities and there are dubious myths surrounding the sound quality itself.

Go for the Fireface

I have MM, MD, DT, A4, Oto Boum, FX, Guitar, Mic, everithing in the patchbay and then in the UFX2.

I have a Scarlett 18i20 that I love. Plus a Behringer ADAT expansion.

For the couch, I run to my SP404, which I dump samples to the as Card and import to Logic.

Congrats on the Mac mini. The new M chips are phenomenal.

I regret my UAD Arrow, which is now the Apollo Solo I think. I got it when it first came out as it was one of the first Thunderbolt 3 interfaces and I thought that would be great for my iMac Pro that I had just bought, but for some reason it has an issue where it disconnects really easily if you bump it even the slightest bit and it won’t reconnect unless you boot down the Mac. I’ve tried replacing the Thunderbolt cable, but the same thing happens. This is my first UAD product and I’ll never get another one.

The other thing I dislike is that they let you preview all their plugins when you buy the interface, which seems nice, but it adds all of them to your DAW, so when you are done with the preview you are stuck with a billion plugins you can’t use. I have a hard time even finding the ones I have bought in the list, and I don’t see an easy way to get rid of all the plugins I can’t use. The only other company I’ve come across that does something similar is IK Multimedia. They offer you a free plug-in and if you download it, they install their whole suite on your computer in hopes you’ll pay to unlock them. I have limited space so absolutely hate this business practice. I stopped buying products from them as well.

Anyway, I thought I’d share this just in case you are tempted by UAD. I’m honestly not sure what to get next as the disconnection issue drives me crazy. I do like having the big volume knob up front on the UAD because I listen to music through my studio monitors while I work every day. I probably will just suffer through it until I upgrade my computer in a year or two.

Zoom LiveTrak L-12 or L-8.
OTB, session-at-once.
track-by-track method is not allowed because it’s overproduction – however, it’s possible with pretty easy workaround, even though LiveTraks have no MIDI.

2 Likes

I have most of my synths hooked up into Zoom Livetrak L-12 mixer recorder audio interface and that into Logic X and Ableton as well as record to sdcard. Other setup is modular synths to 1010 Bluebox mixer recorder to record to sdcard. I’m also using TX-6 to capture live jams on the go to usb drive or dump into Ableton and Logic. I have a MOTU audio interface to use with my Elektrons into MacBook Pro so I can record with Overbridge plugin to Logic or Ableton.

2 Likes

I go back and forth with routing through an analog mixer, and so on, but in the end I come back to a K-Mix into Ableton.

Super flexible, you can route any input to any output in the box itself, and you can also address all 8 ins and 10 outs via Ableton.

Downsides: some don’t like the touch sliders, but I have gotten used to them. Also, DIN MIDI requires a separate adapter, and it only has one in and one out port.

OTOH it also works as a control surfaces for Ableton. Maybe for Logic too.

1 Like

All synths drum machines, mics (for my drums) and sampler etc connected to mixer.

Line out from mixer into Tascam DR40x.

For multi track recording (which is basically when I jam with my mate, sax and Lyra) i go in through a Tascam 20x20 into the laptop.

Nothing fancy.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to streamline things a bit myself recently this is where I’m currently at:

OT as mixer, sequencer and performance effects

OT in A B = Analog Rytm
OT in C D = Eurorack voices

OT Main out = Eurorack end of chain

From there I can capture it on my mixer which has a 24bit soundcard or just plug into a portable recorder. I have -10db and balanced outputs from my eurorack so can record it however’s most convenient✌️I try to spend minimal time mastering so any captured wavs just get massaged gently in Ableton before the final export.

I even added a USB port to my euro case so I could power my Blokas Midihub with one fewer plug sockets I’ve gone efficiency mad.

Ends up looking somethign a bit like this:

I use RME for more than 20 years, two or them over that period and I can vouch for them. High quality, just works, super flexible routing and on board mixer with useful features.

Just saying.

5 Likes

I use an UAD Apollo 8 + ADAT expander + patchbay. All also runs through a Mackie 1642 in parallel, so I can jam and mix and record a 2-track without touching my interface or my computer.

I love the Apollo 8, but if I’d do it again, I’d probably get an RME interface, eg a UFX+, just for the added flexibility.

3 Likes

The Motu UL mk4 sound card.

I’ve got the SSL Fusion going into the first two channels, usually this is for the OT.
A Strymon Deco going into the channels 3&4, usually for the OT cue outs.
A Verde tube mixer going into channels 5&6 and it has the Moog Matriarch, Erica Syntrx and MnM on it’s two stereo channels and two mono channels.
The channels 7&8 are for the Tascam 244 Portastudio.

I use the OB for the A4.
After selling half of my synths during the last year or so due to the NGNY everything is simple and immediate. It used to be such a mess. Love it now.

I just noticed that the RME UFX+ is discontinued. What’s the new version called?

What about the RME digiface usb and a couple Ferrofish pulses? If you’re using outboard preamps this would be a very clean signal path.

2 Likes

I’ve just switched over from a MOTU 1248 to a UA Apollo X6 as my main interface. I’m using an M1 Mac Mini. Alternatively, I have various 1/4" and 1/2" tape machines.

For mics, it’s the usual suspects: Neumann U87, KM-184 (x2), SM57, EV RE-20. My main vocal mic is a Microtech-Gefell UM92 (with a rather illustrious pedigree). My workhorse LDC is a Microtech-Gefell UMT70S.

For pres, I’m using all Chandler Limited stuff - TG2, TG Microphone Cassette, and REDD.47 (with NOS Telefunken tubes).

Dynamics are handled by Urei LA-3a, Distressor, Manley Nu-Mu, as well as the TG Microphone Cassette.

4 Likes

Everything into the TX-6.

1 Like

Everything into the Bluebox.

4 Likes

RME 101%. The total mix softmixer allows for many different routing configurations and you can upload the settings to the hardware and use it without a computer- with the effects which are top notch IMO.