The Behringer era

To be fair, you don’t know what Behringer is paying their workers and how it compares with wages in the area and cost of living. Remember that Behringer has built their business around economies of scale, vertical integration, and manufacturing efficiency. Cheap labor isn’t the magic bullet that makes these prices possible. You can chalk up huge amounts of money saved just from them manufacturing their own parts versus buying them from some other entity who must make profit, charge freight, pay accountants, etc.

1 Like

… And all the money they save in R&D and regulation too, right?

Ahem!

Certainly. This has been gone over very thoroughly here on this forum though, and this isn’t the place for it. I know plenty of folks here in good old America though working for American companies that can’t afford healthcare if we are feeling bad about the working class, and I know MusicTribe employees at least have that! So let’s put this talk to bed in the 2600 thread.

Maybe not cheap labor, but unethical practices in general will save cash. Last news I heard about Behringers factories was toxic chemicals causing a workers strike in 2017.
https://m.midifan.com/news_body.php?id=28353

You can read all about the follow-up online, this was not the case, a worker had cancer and the employees thought cancer could spread person to person, so they organized a strike. It’s all online. There were no toxic chemicals. Really, this is not the place.

Well, evidently, it hasn’t been gone over enough. And if not here, then where?

At any rate, I pick my battles one at a time. To that end, I sincerely hope none of you ever find yourselves being bullied by Behringer or the likes…

Cheers!

The Behringer Era thread is where. Not trying to pick a fight with you or anything John, I know you’re a good dude. Personally, I muted that thread :wink:

1 Like

S’all good, Hawk. I like you too. It’s a fierce topic. Indeed, it has to be…

Cheers!

2 Likes

I don´t understand why this discussion has to come up in every Behringer thread. For the sake of the argument, I just looked under a few of my synths.
Arturia Keystep / Microfreak: Made in China
Roland TR8: Made in China
Dave Smith Prophet REv 2: Assembled in USA (read “Made in China but we put a few screws together in the US”)
Eventide H9: Assembled in China

Clearly not from China:
Access Virus TI: “Manufactured in Germany”
Strymon Timeline: Built in the USA
Oberheim Xpander: “Los Angeles”.

6 Likes

Just for the record. Again I was just joking around. I will most certanly not afford it even though its Behringer. I was just saying that I really want it in a funny way. Im litterarly on your side. Possably even more radical maybe. Sorry if anyone was offended! I will here on keep my sarcasm to myself✌️

Price strongly depends on the manufacturing process.

If a boutique company assembles PCBs by “through the hole” and manual soldering in Europe or the US it’s much more costly rather than producing PCBs based on SMD technology by robots and soldering furnace :wink:

1 Like

I actually think it is relevant in every thread. But your absolutley right. Everything is shit. And electronic products are amongst the worst producs you can buy, climate wise, workers condition wise, fucking slavelabour mining and shit. Its not really about not buying just behringer. Its about consuming as little as possable and specially electronic products :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

This issue goes far beyond what the label says on the bottom of your synthesizers. But I’m done with the futility of this debate for today. I’ve said my piece, I’ve checked my references, and I know where my heart is at.

People are going to do whatever they want to do…

Cheers!

2 Likes

I agree and I disagree.
It is not always that simple. I guess that synthesizers have a livespan that is much longer than other electronic products. I doubt that someone who bought a Behringer 303 would throw it away after five years like a phone or a broken water boiler. I can speak only for myself but I the stuff in my studio is what I own for the longest time. I still have my first Virus and got synths from the 90s, 80s and even 70s here. Unlike other modern electronics synths can be repaired when something it broken.

2 Likes

I sell smartphones for a living, they’re one of the biggest offenders as far as electronic waste is concerned. My Quadraverb is 30 years old, my Virus C is 15 years old, still going strong. If Behringer items have a decent lifespan on them, they could he producing much less waste than smartphones. It’s all waste eventually, unless you can get it repaired which synths can be. Smartphones become out dated pretty quick and can be difficult to repair. Anybody championing a cause by boycotting Behringer for wasteful practices and bad work conditions, I would hope, also gives the same amount of energy to boycotting Smartphone manufacturers.

9 Likes

Robots? That makes sense. How would I know if a robot built my gear? I kinda support robots doing this kind of labor. Maybe I should only buy synths made by robots.

But who makes the robots?

Robots…:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Roland makes robot’s right? Behringer clones Roland robot… Behringer robot clones the future. End of latency problems in Ableton.

I’m just trying to make the soundtrack that these robots can jam out to while they build our cars, aircraft, and synthesizers.

Ableton is the fish, Roland is the barrel. Boom, fish in a barrel.

3 Likes