The Behringer era

Racism. Does. Not. Require. Intention.

13 Likes

So it’s racist to depict someone as a synth snob?

this guy again…
no it’s not necessarily racist to depict someone as a synth snob, but when you use anti-semitic imagery to do so, it is racist.
don’t play coy, it doesn’t make you seem cool or smart

7 Likes

Goscinny plays on stereotypes, whether it be about blacks, Helvetians, Hispanics, English, Jews or Frenchs.
Goscinny was born to a family of Jewish immigrants from Poland BTW . He lost family members in Nazi Camp and once said : Je n’ai jamais regardé la couleur, la race, la religion des gens. Je suis daltonien pour ça ! Je ne vois que des hommes, c’est tout !

Btw this was written in the 1960s.
Anyway i get your point.

EdIt : Sorry if i offended someone. I do not agree with Behringer at all and well , i dont know if the intention was there but … you are probably right saying it could be offending. So i agree.I though that was nothing more than a caricature (talking about the picture only) but the more i look at it … i dont know , maybe you’re right … it just seems so out of place …

Reason for edit : my english is not so great.

Not worth it LOL

If Behringer’s team have time to spare for massively ill-judged attempts at satire, they could do a lot worse than reading Mike Monteiro’s brutal but insightful book, “Ruined by Design”. They might learn a thing or two about ethics and when to exercise some integrity.

https://www.ruinedby.design/zine

Or they could just choose to continue behaving like trolls.

My money would be on the latter but I really do hope that they choose a different path.

As things stand, I’ll never buy anything with their name on it and the few items of Behringer gear that I own will be donated to charity. I know it’s a fairly insignificant act but at least I’ll feel a little less awful about contributing to their profits.

Thanks for reading.

Thread muted.

2 Likes

Due to lots of flags, lots of PMs to the moderation team, and a large desire to keep the forum a positive place, we’ve decided to unlist the Behringer Era thread.

We will direct/move all Berhinger politics/policies/corporate actions talk in other threads to this thread. But we think it’s a better look to keep it out of Google’s crawlers when people are seeing Elektronauts pop up in their search results.

In those other threads, help us to keep them on topic by talking about the instruments themselves, and not personal philosophies that have been historically divisive on this forum. Straying away from those subjects will just get your post moved to this unlisted thread, but require our time and effort, none the less.

We hope you understand.

-mods.

Lol, so you’ll be unsurprised to hear that I think this is a really poor decision by the mods.

People should see this conversation in Google results - they should see the global electronic music community unequivocally condemning Behringer for engaging in a targeted bullying campaign using racist imagery. They should see people being impolite and angry about it, and connect those conversations to their own decisions as consumers and music-makers.

If calling racism by its name is less important to you than keeping things polite, then so be it, I guess. But it’s exactly that impulse, and decisions precisely like this one, which have allowed racist ideologies to infiltrate mainstream discourse, and encouraged Behringer and others to think they can get away with stuff like this, and far worse.

1 Like

Behringer threads are amazing.

For the sake of brevity (and levity) and without any personal shit attached I’d like to summarize this and every Behringer thread.

This is going to be amazing

No it’s not, it’ll be shit

“How dare you, Behringer are amazing and all their synths are the best”

"I disagree, everything Behringer have made and will ever make is shit"

"They’re better than Elektron"

"They’re worse than everything, listen to how shit their new thing is"

Even though it sounds shit in their demo and in real life it still sounds amazing if you dial it in right

"Cheap Chinese crap"

Better QC than a rolls Royce mate

Uli is mean

ANALOGUE!!!

I like digital now

2 Likes

@Fin25 It’s sad really. Everyone has the right to not like a certain company and not willing to buy their products. all power to them!

What I don’t understand is, if they hate Behringer so much. Just put all Behringer threads on mute and move on. Let people that “are” interested in this gear in peace.

Like I already said yesterday. This is one of the reasons I avoid forums like Gearslutz like the plague due to all the toxicity.

Don’t let this forum end up the same please! Thanks!

I think we all have to do our best just to laugh at ourselves a bit.

It’s only a few synths.

That’s not the case at all. We’re just completely exhausted with the 24-7 baby sitting of these B threads. Responding to constant flags, having to constantly move posts that went outside the guidelines.

When Elektron asked us to moderate this forum, that’s not really what we had in mind.
We have lives that we’d like to live outside the forum, but also be able to maintain the peace here and let Elektronauts be a place where people interested in Elektron things can still feel welcome to come to, and not have this toxic atmosphere in their minds when logging in.
Unlisting this thread has little to do with the Kirn fiasco, and racism, and mostly to do with the cumulative work it takes to keep these threads active.
Simply put, it isn’t worth it.

We’ve missed great threads (that were fortunately, later bumped) that were started by very helpful members of the community. The noise is outweighing the signal, in a lot of respects. This is our way of directing traffic.

Sorry you disagree with our decision, but try seeing it from our perspective.

4 Likes

…delete

Let’s be honest - there’s no ‘magic’ in Behringers analog gear - it’s garbage & we all know it. It’s cheap - that’s its selling point, period.

Even their stuff that’s not a stupid knock off, cashing in on the cachet of someone else’s design, isn’t great compared to a proper manufacturer. I remember trying a Deepmind when they first came out - one of the worst sounding analogue polysynths I’ve ever played.
I’d you’re happy buying Behringer & using it then good luck to you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sonic state have a chat about the Kirn story, Ty Unwin ain’t no Behringer fan :rofl:

https://youtu.be/nHVMeCaUxsg

1 Like

Dude I get that you HATE Behringer but it really seems that your bias is affecting your ears, I’ve listened to every sound pack release from Geosynths for the Deepmind and it’s a beautiful sounding synth regardless of how you feel about the company.

2 Likes

no, it’s not. it’s worse than the Analog 4 / keys… & that’s saying something.

And I don’t ‘hate’ Behringer - they’re just an equipment manufacturer. Just not a very good one, with very questionable ethical practices.

1 Like

But it is, though. You’ve sidelined and de-emphasised ethical arguments over Behringer’s behaviour in order to create more space for good-natured conversations about their products. I can entirely understand why you might want to do that, even though I disagree strongly with it, but to do that and then deny that’s what you’re doing isn’t really credible.

And as I’ve said before, if the level of anger and frustration in this thread was being created by less self-evidently problematic issues (disagreements over quality control, circuit designs, even employment practices) then I’d have a great deal more sympathy for your position. I appreciate the work that goes into moderating communities like this, and having to deal with ongoing toxicity must be extraordinarily draining.

But, at the risk of sounding like a broken record: Behringer have engaged in a targeted harassment campaign aimed at bullying, humiliating and delegitimising a journalist they don’t like, using deeply racist imagery, for which they’ve failed to apologise properly (or at all, assuming that half-hearted statement is still deleted).

I just find it bizarre that something so unequivocally toxic can be shunted to one side: that the community here will look at a company that peddles racist tropes (even if inadvertently) and tries to harass its critics into silence, and decide that the more important thing to discuss is a firmware update.

I guess that’s grounded in my belief that the political and ethical questions behind all of this stuff are inseparable, that you can’t in good faith go “oh well, I guess that stuff sucks, but let’s just focus on something else”. I just fundamentally believe that that’s a really shortsighted and ultimately quite damaging way to think about the world.

But yeah, like I say, this is your place. You do what you want.

3 Likes

oh boy

OH MAN :sweat_smile: