The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

I feel like i really need to keep ignoring these pressers. The hype cycle is fun but spending less money and recording more should be my goal.

The acquisition cycle is not great for creativity.

7 Likes

Yep, itā€™s the only one of the clones that iā€™ve ever been interested in.

Also interesting to note that this and the LinnDrum and DMX clones are the only
ones remaining to happen from the 2017 ā€œleakā€

1 Like

Your actions contradict your statement.

3 Likes

I mean, thatā€™s the train of thought.

ā€œOh, cool!ā€

ā€¦

ā€œshit, just use what you have and wait until the interest has died down and then maybe come back to it a year after launchā€

Iā€™m similarly ā€œinterestedā€ in the PPG but the cycle of acquisition isnā€™t super healthy for my creativity.

Pink Floyd. Any other reason to care?

I look forward to seeing it.

3 Likes

ā€˜Heroesā€™, Hawkwind, Hankinson, Gong, The Who, and Roxy Music. If I had to choose a favorite synth, itā€™s the VCS3. Itā€™s the only analog synth that can still surprise me after all these decades.

14 Likes

Actually, Klaus Schulze, Throbbing Gristle, Tangerine Dream, Richard Pinhasā€¦ there have been a lot of more famous synths, but looking back, itā€™s hard not to think that the VCS3/Synthi A wasnā€™t one of the most influential.

13 Likes

Is that the synth on baba o riley?

Mid 90s Masami Akita / Merzbow of courseā€¦

6 Likes

I strongly doubt Throbbing Gristle ever used oneā€¦ Chris Carter was mostly into Roland and homebuilt stuff.

1 Like

Ooops, i was wrong of courseā€¦!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s actually a Lowrey organ marimba sound on ā€˜repeatā€™ mode. The same organ was run through a VCS3 on ā€˜Wonā€™t Get Fooled Againā€™.

Technically, I should have specified Chris Carter rather than TG, as the VCS3 was the first synth he ever owned, and his famous DIY synth was based on its design. He now owns a new Synthi A.

3 Likes

Yep, just realized shortly after posting that commentā€¦ ;-o

1 Like

5:40 mark

4 Likes

Oh, and the only ā€˜properā€™ video by my old pals and former labelmates The Legendary Pink Dots features a Synthi A (for those that donā€™t know, itā€™s the exact same synth as a VCS3, but housed in a suitcase)

Jarre still has six of 'em in a rack.

This synth is an experimental music legend.

8 Likes

My $599 is ready.

2 Likes

Notable users according to Wikipedia;

4 Likes

This is exactly it. The basic circuitry conists of three oscillators, filter, ring mod, a single envelope generator (albeit a weird one) and a (noisy) spring reverb, plus a couple of odd output filters, so nothing all that remarkable. A DK2 keybaord adds an oscillator.

However, that (in)famous patch matrix allows anything to be routed to anything else. Even itself. So you can plug the output of the filter back into the filters audio or mod input. Envelope Decay as a mod target is nice, as is reverb mix. The matrix is not buffered, so voltage amounts drop as pins are added to a row. This is more interesting than aggravating and though there are mods available that add buffers, I, like many others, prefer to leave it as is.

Significantly, every section has an output level control that can be overdriven. Some of the oscillator waves have shape controls. And the joystick. Hoo boy, that joystick!

4 Likes

Brian Eno was famously a proponent of dropping in a few random pins. You donā€™t REALLY need to understand whatā€™s going on to explore sonic possibilities.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a great clip - Iā€™ve never heard it. Thanks for linking it (Iā€™m a Roxy fanatic and probably wouldnā€™t own a VCS3 now - or even be making music for that matter - had I not bought the first LP and For Your Pleasure so many decades ago).

Oddly, though Eno was known for helming the VCS3 during his Roxy tenure, it was Andy Mackay who initially brought it to the band.

4 Likes