The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

And probably only five VCS3s between all of those artists :stuck_out_tongue: and now they’re all on the waiting list to get a new one because they miss it. :smiley:

2 Likes

That makes total sense. If Roxy music has a co-founder it would be Mackay, so it would make sense that he would have brought it in. Also, wasn’t Eno a broke art major when he joined? There’s no way he could have afforded it.

Klaus Schulze is also a master of the VC3, although he likes the suitcase version.

1 Like

Klaus Schulze still says he doesn’t know how to properly operate his, but last I checked, he still had it… :joy:

1 Like

And there it is, made real!

1 Like

Indeed. Roxy was definitely Mackay’s baby (edit: actually it was formed by Ferry after The Gas Board, and I think Graham Simpson)

As an aside, I saw Ferry play in Denver last summer and holy moly, ‘In Every Dreamhome a Heartache’ was better than I’d ever heard it! No VCS3 though.

3 Likes

I wonder if they will include a real spring reverb. Their 2600 has a digital reverb, which doesn’t seem like a big deal except you can’t get indirect speaker to spring feedback, which is a fun trick for making crazy sounds.

wait summer of 2020?

2 Likes

The reverb is one of the frustrating things about it. Even the “good” version of the circuit (it changed over the years) is noisy because the thing is crammed into a box with speakers on either side. But it is such a part of the ‘Synth sound’ that it’s hard not to use it.

2 Likes

No summer of 2019. The Avalon anniversary tour. I hadn’t seen him perform since 1987 or 1988 (Bete Noire tour)

1 Like

Massive!

1 Like

I saw Tristram Carys original first prototype a few years back, along with his notes, funny enough aside from the construction made from hardboard and with hand written labels it did not look so different from the production versions, sadly I did not get to have a play with it though, the guy in charge of it wasn’t around when I visited, but there were various recordings of it, and various other interesting bits and pieces to see.

6 Likes

Amazing! What a great joy it must have been to clap eyes on that!

3 Likes

I will say only having used a Syntrx, for me the real spring reverb feels like part of the spirit of this kind of synth… the speaker feedback is cool but there are so many possibilities with feedback loops with in the mixer matrix and including the spring reverb into that sort mess I really have to imagine wouldn’t function the same in a digital realm, especially having to put a signal through a DACs over and over again. That said if they make a VCS3 type thing really cheap even if it has a digital reverb, even if it sounds nothing like a VCS3, if it has the workflow it would probably be worth it for anyone curious.

I do wonder on price, they clearly managed to get the 2600 to a good price. This guy made a mixer matrix for the TE POM-400 http://matrix.vondle.com/ and that cost $668.53 in parts. I am sure behringer could make a mixer matrix cheaper but I wouldn’t be surprised if the unit ended up being the most expensive synth they have released to date

2 Likes

Ice-T???

1 Like

You ain’t seen that episode of law and order SVU? :joy:

1 Like

There’s a shot in the Metallica documentary Some Kind of Monster that shows a VCS3 and a Nord Rack of some kind. Guess they used it on St Anger :laughing:

2 Likes

Ozzy vs 2600:

3 Likes

It’s funny because many cite artists possessing a synth as a reason for buying it, while for these artists it was a totally new thing when they got it.

4 Likes

It was super interesting to me, and quite a rare opportunity the odds of it appearing in a small museum in a tiny rural town quite near to where I live, I took a bunch of photos but don’t have them anymore (pretty gutted) as the phone I used decided to lose them.

There was a performance with it but sadly that had finished by the time I found out about it.

1 Like

Agree with the whole ‘surprise’ thing (and would add ‘delight’ to that).
I long ago realised I had as much chance of understanding my Synthi as understanding my wife. I’m very happy with that state of affairs - and I love them both.

1 Like

I’ll say nothing more on this thread then :rofl: