The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

chops are from this song. you could get a nice loop out of it.

looks like the drums are just a couple of slices from the drums in this song plus the afterparty kick layered on the existing kick for some girth. i was wrong about using addictive drums on this one. most of my recent stuff uses those drums, though.

the kick one-shot is from this pack: Kount Drums Volume 3 - The Kount

drums are in a group (kinda like a buss) with this effects chain. the tape mello-fi is on the “drum warmer” preset with some minor tweaks.

2 Likes

This is dope man, love it :+1:

1 Like

Thanks man! It’s interesting you mention a swirling pool of sound - I’ve been listening to bits of Shoegaze recently.

Yeah I wasn’t sure if it sounded to ‘muddy’ or too much going on etc. It’s all trial and error I guess.

2 Likes

Thanks man, appreciate it.

Ok this is brilliant of you. Thanks.

Drum Buss is life!

1 Like

Hi

New beat + some scratches + stutter edit that i grab on sale.

Peace !

6 Likes

Nice work man. Great vibe, dope scratching! I packed up my turntables the other week. Might have to bust them out again :wink:

1 Like

Finally finished something new to share with you good people. My third ever remix using an acapella which is mad seeing as I’ve been into hip hop for over half my life and making beats off and on for over 10 years.

Messed around a lot with processing on the master. Wanted it to sound a bit nostalgic but also kinda modern-ish. It could just sound painful. I can’t tell anymore. So many versions :woozy_face:

Here’s a dub out ambient-ish slow mo version too. Fed the stems into the 404 mk2 and played around with pitch, mutes, tape delay etc. One for the smokers :wink: Or former smokers who like to reminisce…

7 Likes

Dope! Love the dubbed out version. Super chill track. Drums are sick!

Sounds like a killer underground track from back in the day. I could definitely imagine me buying a copy of this at Breakbeat Science in NYC back in the 90s.

Here’s an old school jam with Rza vocals I got from that shop back in the day to give you an idea what I’m talking about.

“Sometimes you just got to kick back and listen to the sounds of the hornzzzzzzzzzz”

2 Likes

Curious what you all think of this . Love hip hop and sampling but don’t consider it my main style .

3 Likes

Thanks man! Dig the rza sampling track. I’ve got a soft spot for 90s hip hop/jungle/d&b crossover business :fire:

1 Like

When I started out producing music on my own, before I started my journey into synths and electronic music, I had just fun making boom bap beats on my MPC 500 and a cracked ableton version all day
This was my first and last beattape so far.
Drums and production are not on par with most of the stuff you guys post here in the forum but I still like some of the beats. Great time, great vibes and memories for me.

Also this track is from that time period. A french guest student rapped over one of my beats :slight_smile:

Since then, I haven’t really done another hip hop release but I always continued making boom bap. The collection really has grown, I want to do another beattape some day.

7 Likes

this is something i’ve been noodling on the past few days, slowing down a little instead of bashing stuff out quickly.

drum loop is from here, plus effects: https://youtu.be/EOfxM0kANfM

one theme is chopped from here: https://youtu.be/qoZwldswt_4

main theme is chopped from here: https://youtu.be/prvWD9qK94g

bass is ableton’s operator, mono, through the bass amp sim, and some other stuff.

acapella (double tracked + effects) is from legendary boston MC ed. o.g.'s song, “boston.”

lady acapella is tammy lucas’ “is it good to you.”

all tracks are grouped with rc-20 on top of it all, but very little vinyl noise.

i struggled for awhile looking for something suitable for a chorus between verses. not sure these chops are the right fit, but they were better than the aaliyah slices i had in there before.

for once, the bx masterdesk isn’t on my master. this one has ozone 9 + the shadow hills mastering compressor instead. it seems to sound okay. the bx plugin is so simple, though.

11 Likes

Both dope man, kudos indeed… nice job…:+1:

1 Like

That’s proper nice man, break yo neck type shiz, excellent job…:+1:

1 Like

Oh my. This is very good :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the inspiration @rockpapergoat decided to try and finish the track I posted a few days ago, tried my best to fit it up with an acapella, this time it’s Rakims the saga begins, not the best fit up I’ve done with warping but certainly not the worst either, I’m on a mission now to learn it back to front… anyhow on with the show :metal:
EDIT … So yeah I was unhappy with the vocal and sat down to really see if I could figure it out and I did it… and it was a lot easier than I thought… made use of the single bar loop feature and added some warp markers to the first verse because some of the lines were horribly off beat, it sounds so much better now… mission accomplished… Here’s the re edit…

4 Likes

Holy smokes, this is a banger!

1 Like

Damnn there’s a lot of new stuff here! I’ll listen to it tonight. Glad this thread is so alive and inspiring.

@Doug’s great live beattape, and @DimensionsTomorrow’s mention of Sun Ra inspired me to do a live beattape myself. I was listening to a lot of spaced out stuff lately, so there’s some nods to my favourite hiphop artists from outer space…

I made this entire project on the ARmkII. I’ve sampled some vinyl, some rhodes and some Moog, recorded the beats from the AR straight into my portastudio (Hiss!) and this is the end result. Hope you guys like it!

16 Likes