The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Excellent work &, like others have said on the YT comments, really dig the video style too

1 Like

Oh man, this is incredible. My favorite track is probably Astro Infinity, beautiful. Very inspiring.

I’ve been taking a bit of time off from recording, and just focusing on instruments for a bit. I’ve got some ideas for a little beat tape I’ve been kicking around. Your tape has given me a bit of positive energy and motivation, so I thank you for that.

1 Like

Thanks for listening guys! Glad you like it and I’m sure inspiration will pick up again. Hearing all you guys’ music keeps me motivated to get better.

I did indeed put a little more time into the video editing on this one, but I still have a lot to learn… It’s good to hear people do like it!

5 Likes

Really good!
It makes me want to rap over it even though I’m very bad at it hahaha

It also makes me want to try the AR a lot. I use the DT for all my beats at the AR looks like a great update.

1 Like

messed with this the other day. slices from one track felt hypnotic.

drums are a 2 bar blackbyrds loop.

main theme is from the intro to this https://youtu.be/2nj66-x0r0Q

lady vox are from the intro to “sounds like love” from illa j. https://youtu.be/Cqq-ZTfFO4Y

there’s a synth note in there and some sampled scratches from somewhere in my stash.

3 Likes

so good, dude.

@rockpapergoat thanks man! Love your track as well, classic rockpapergoat sound, and amazing use of that main sample.

@mncrmo haha thanks and feel free to do bad rap freestyles over every track! I wouldn’t say the AR is a pure upgrade over the DT though. It has some more options, but also frustratingly lacks some of the things that make the DT great, like samplestart finetuning and sidechain compression. I’d stick to the DT if I were you, it’s an amazing machine.

2 Likes

great work. Really like it

1 Like

Daaaaaannnnnnggg so there’s been a lot of fire :fire: posted here lately, and I’m only now getting around to replying. :joy:

Let’s see here…

@Synu Love the scratching and FX on this! I know nothing about scratching, but the more I hear it the more I become interested.

Nah, it sounds dope! Once you get through the intro and the bass kicks in… :fire: This one bumps hard. Great use of the a capella too!

@Cabelstein This sounds sick to me dude! I like how the drum groove switches up a bit and how you just chuck in all these seemingly random chops that just work.

@Unifono MAKE ANOTHER TAPE! I listened to the whole thing and it was awesome front to back. Great variety in the chops and drums, and you have great basslines (an area in which I currently lack :joy:). The track with the guest MC was sick too!

Like seriously, if you’ve just been stockpiling beats, then take the best ones and put 'em out as a new tape. I’d love to hear it. :smile:

@rockpapergoat Stank face! The sub is just sitting there rumbling, and the piano chops roll in and out nicely. The MC ties the whole track together.

edit: and your other track (“smelter”) is killer too! Those drums give it some real momentum.

@Symian Great track! Your re-edit definitely sounds better than the first version.

@Sleepyhead Killer tape! You’ve got your signature sound down pat. “Astro Infinity” would have to be my favorite.

7 Likes

Thanks man as always I appreciate the kind words :metal:

1 Like

Thanks you! Much appreciated

1 Like

Lifted some random radio snippets, and other instruments/sounds. Took advantage of the Rhythms probability and mutate (random) sequencer functions:

2 Likes

Eyo, so I really want some scratching sounds on a beat that I’m making right now, but I don’t have any way to actually scratch.

So, what’s a good way to emulate the sound of scratching? (I’m using an MPC One for this.)

Alternatively, any idea of where I could get some (preferably free) scratch samples?

2 Likes

Should be able to use q-link on the mpc as well.

Might find some usable samples here.

2 Likes

it’s no substitute, but you can find coldcut’s kleptomania vol. 1, which includes some scratch samples, here: 90's Old School Sample CDs Collection : CyberYoukai : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

2 Likes

Hit me up via pm, I’ve got a couple of sample packs I can upload to Google drive for you…

1 Like

Thanks for the help y’all!

I had the same “problem” a while ago. On the jam below I used the Digitakt and p-locked sample start points on some scratch sample video I found on YouTube. Works reasonably well. Not sure if the MPC has a similar function though.

5 Likes

wtf all the scratches are made only p-locking?!!

That sounds amazing!

I finally finished this beat that I started on Sunday. It probably needs a little work on the mixing side of things, but I think the overall idea is finished.

The super catchy bass loop and drums were taken from a Music Radar sample pack, the horn and flute samples were from the Blu Mar Ten - Jungle Jungle sample pack, and the scratch samples were from a pack that I got from @Symian (thx mate!)

I like this track enough that it’ll probably end up on an official release of mine someday, but I wanted to go ahead and share it with you guys. Any and all feedback is appreciated. :pineapple:

9 Likes