The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Pure baggy 90’s flava bwooooyeeee! Very well done :+1:

1 Like

Ah, no, sorry. This is a sample with pre-made scratches, but I p-locked beginning and end points of those scratches to get them fitting the rhythm of the track.

It is probably possible though, with a combination of p-locking and trigless trigs to change the pitch and playback mode, but I am lightyears away from reaching that level of DT sorcery.

1 Like

Really like this idea! I feel that the drums could be more in your face. They sound sort of distant now, but that could also be a stylistic choice of course (and I am sucker for earth shattering kicks)

1 Like

Nice vibe mate, it’s got all the right stuff in there for sure, good work man :+1:

1 Like

yet another use of this thread: sample donations

i was messing with this the other day but haven’t gotten too far with it yet. it’s so good just by itself, so i figured it may be useful to someone else. here’s the original source, and attached is a 4 bar section of the beginning, suitable for looping. i chopped it in ableton, slowed it down to 91 bpm, and it just bounces along.

post up if you end up using it.

6 Likes

Don’t know if this is the proper space for this.

Just released the first couple songs of my upcoming album.

Check this forum on the daily for news and insight. and elektron’s have been the centerpiece of my setup for years. Cheers! And much love!

8 Likes

The battles and this thread totally sent me back to hip hop mania. Making little beats every evening after work and listening to instrumental hip hop albums all day :notes:

Always moving back and forth between synth based electronica and sample based beats…

6 Likes

So cool, I love madlib, been chowing down on his shades of blue album today at work, he’s a legend…

1 Like

I figured this might be of interest to some people here. Harry Moschops talking through his approach to making beats on the PO33KO (but the concepts are totally applicable to anything, obviously)

4 Likes

Some more Dilla-goodness:

4 Likes

something i whipped up the other day. i don’t like the mix and am not sure it all works. it’s another one of those things where, conceptually, maybe it’s okay but needs work.

4 Likes

@PineappleDave that last one is probably my favourite beat of you I’ve heard so far… you really progress every track I hear of you!

@oldbills Dope! I really like the lofi weirdness. What did you make that on?

@rockpapergoat You’ve been on a roll, this is another great one. I love the singing in this one, the whole buildup makes this sound like a finished track already, but I get your point on the mix. The drums could be a bit louder in the mix imo.

3 Likes

thanks! vocals are from a pack of sounds from the indian subcontinent i found on archive.org awhile back. will dig up the link if anyone wants it. there are some bangers in the mix.

speaking of mixes, my curse is mixing on headphones. i need to start using my little monitors instead. it would probably lead to a smoother mix. i always think some element is too loud, and folks then say some other element needs to be brought up more or whatever. i am living and learning.

here’s an old thing with roots manuva vocals over a beat and some indian vox for the chorus. the only part i think works really well is the little bit after 2:50 when the drums kick back in. woo!

1 Like

Octatrack mainly. With some processing with some external efx.

1 Like

Another trip hop inspired jam. Built around an acoustic guitar sample I found, and some other random samples.

Thank you for listening.

4 Likes

I’ve used this forum many times over the last two years.
I owe it and all the contributors a big thank you. ​

This is my first track share. Made with my Digitakt and Garageband:

8 Likes

Something simple from yesterday to chill out the start of the week. This is all the Machinedrum UW, used only as a sampler, and run through the Heat.

8 Likes

Made this for the Hardware Jams Challenge group over on Facebook. All about dreams this week!

3 Likes

Hi everybody!

Last friday I bought a digitone. It’s my first hardware synth, I plan to use it in my hiphop productions alongside with the DT.
I wasn’t into fm synths before and I wanted to try something different, out of my confort zone. I was convinced by the big bass sounds it can provide, and i’m not disapointed with this, it can do very huge bass!
But outside the bass territory, I really don’t know how I will incorporate it in my sample based instrumentals. When I try to tweak keys, lead synth patches, I always come up with similar results, and when I scroll the presets, I feel that they all sound similar.
Any advice for using the DN in hiphop production?

1 Like

it’s very good for bell and rhodes type sounds, maybe you can do some chilled jazzy stuff with that.
It’s also very good at glitches and noises, if you maybe want to give your beats a more experimental, edgy touch.
It’s also very good for drum sounds, if you don’t rely on purely acoustic sounds

2 Likes