The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Dope video, sounds great!

1 Like

Thanks, man

Made this today…

9 Likes

Messing around this evening on the Lo Hiss eSPi 1200. I’ve never been able to get anything out of it without it freaking out, scrambling the patterns or the samples. Super frustrating. But finally made something thats held together. Ran it through some tapefying stuff and dirt on Ableton after to make it extra fluffy and did a live take arrange if you can call it that, ha.

Just a reggae loop and a little vocal chop then some samples courtesy of the damn tasty Vels Trio sample pack from @aarb420 and @natehorn. I used piano chops from @emadb and a perc from @1-2 so thank you all for providing some ingredients for an hour of beat making fun! Hoping to join in on one of those bi-weekly seshies (as well as the HHBBs!) sometime soon :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Nice banger @looms that was fun and that grit is delicious! That eSPi 1200 sounds surprisingly good.

Glad the pack found it’s way to some cool hands, and I enjoyed your use of the Vels Trio samples! :beers:

2 Likes

Absolute :fire:

2 Likes

Are you using it on an iPad or desktop? I’m super curious but don’t wanna throw money at a project that’s barely supported…

I’ve got the desktop version. I think there’s a demo where you can’t load your own samples but at least with that you can see how buggy it it or isn’t for you. I paid £20 during the early days. I knew it was beta and would have issues but didn’t expect it to pretty much unusable and I was kinda pissed tbh, but it is a one man operation I suppose. The most recent version does seem the most stable yet, but still some majorly weird shit happening sometimes.

1 Like

Thanks man I think I’ll stay well clear of it then, there’s enough headaches in life as is, I don’t need any self inflicted ones…

Ha, yeah I feel that. Looking on YouTube there’s actually very little on it really beyond promo which I think prob speaks to the fact that a lot of peeps gave up on it.

After the wu-tang challenge, I wanted to practice with acapellas, so decided to make this remix this morning. I couldn’t do it with morricone since we weren’t allowed to do acapellas for this challenge and I was bored… thought of sharing a one off with you guys.

5 Likes

Haha, that puts a smile on my face. Instant campiness in the best way possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was listening to a lot of old 80s commercials (especially for games) to see if I could catch some nice samples to play around with on my SP404 mk2. Found some nice drums, pianos and bass sounds. I added some sounds from iPad synths (VHS synth, Model D & DRC) and made a little kind of spooky, trippy jam. Not sure if this qualifies as hip-hop?

2 Likes

spooky indeed, and yes sounds like hiphop to me, what else would it be? Also I think it might benefit from a bit of arranging your jam, so that the spookiness kicks in earlier to set the tone! Wonder how that easy that is with the SP-404, i’ve ordered one, supposed to come in this week :smiley:

1 Like

Have to find out that for myself as well, just received mine last week :grinning:

2 Likes

Good to see you rocking the SP. Just curious what made you decide to get it again?

Basically, the 2.0 update. The lack of polyphony and not being able to enter chromatic mode when pattern recording were dealbreakers for me when i first had it. I still liked it as an effect box, but I couldn’t justify it using it for that purpose only.

Also, I love that it keeps me away from its sequencer (don’t love it) and thus inspires a completely different workflow than my DT and OT

1 Like

That makes sense. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

1 Like

Yo, I have a new tape out! 10 tracks all made in Ableton. It’s definitely been a change from the MPC workflow but I’m completely converted to ITB at this point. :joy: I kept this tape to a mostly hip-hop/boom-bap sound. (Trap and lofi tapes are likely to follow eventually). I hope you all enjoy it.

(It’s also on streaming services for those who use 'em)

9 Likes

Nice work mate, sounds like you’re really finding your feet with the whole Ableton thing :+1:

1 Like