The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

I have a long way to go in terms of finding the “Pineapple Dave” sound, but I’m really clicking with Ableton. :grin:

2 Likes

You can sequence chromatically?

Well, you can now switch back to chromatic mode when recording patterns in real time. Not sure if you can also do TR recording chromatically… don’t have the manual here right now

That’s how I’ve been doing it. You’re absolutely correct.

I was a little excited for a min. The other thing I would love, is a way to restart the play head in tr rec mode. It’s hard to program in and wait to see how it sounds. It makes me only sequence 4 bars at a time.

Posted this on the new music thread, but thought I’d include it here as well. Some lo bap for a Tuesday…

6 Likes

The first beat I’ve managed to record on my SP-404 mk2 since having it a couple of weeks - hammering FX and embracing sloppy timing, just so I can say I finally got something off it!

5 Likes

Sounds good, man. It’s got a bit of a RZA vibe. Keep going!

1 Like

Not hip hop, but those Mike Clark drums and Herbie looking like a mad scientist behind the keyboards. The roots of hip hop for sure. Makes me want to start making some music.

5 Likes

Looking forward to hearing you chop this up. The breakdown post-8 minutes especially hit me hard

1 Like

hell yeah, that’s one of my favorite videos of them. there’s a longer full performance of that or something from around then that is amazing. i’ll check my stash.

1 Like

This one? Different performance and slightly different lineup, but amazing. Some breaks, sick Micromoog solo, some great tape delay on the guitar…and the bonus 1970s commercials :laughing::gem:

I also have to say that the lighting and cinematography on all the Headhunters performances I’ve seen from back then is seriously on point. Especially that last one.

3 Likes

not that one, but it’s also good. there used to be a playlist of clips from that full performance in bremen. the only reason i know is that i downloaded them all and had them on a loop one time playing on our tv when friends came over. i can’t find them all in one place or one video at the moment. all the permutations of that band were potent back then.

1 Like

here’s something from the past few days. i came across this while looking for some italian funk from the 60s and 70s and had to chop it up.

took some short loops and chops from the intro and elsewhere, layered in addictive drums for some presence, sprinkled a few street fighter sound effects in there. the intro is denzel washington from the movie “american gangster.” the acapella is buckshot and 9th wonder’s “side talk.”

simple felt better for this. okay, now back to practicing piano.

5 Likes

Yeah, I noticed in another clip that someone said the full performance was taken down. Bummer as the clips I’ve seen are incredible.

I don’t think I could do that justice!

It’s kind of sad but I haven’t actually been enjoying chopping samples lately. I’ve mostly just been playing instruments and stuff. I’m gonna try to put some of my own stuff in the SP though. I get too absorbed whenever I sit down to play though, so I need better discipline with recording. I got a nice looper a while back with the intention of recording and building out some of these jams. Gotta start using it!

1 Like

Hello,
I share with you a beat I made on the OT after the last beat battle.

I really enjoying using the octatrack, I made the drums directly on the OT with resampling, I’m happy with the result.

6 Likes

Currently in the process of finishing beats I’ve done lately.
I was trying to get something done for the last morricone battle, but didn’t have enough time and wasn’t really satisfied with what I had. Since I mixed it now, I thought I could share it here.

3 Likes

That’s nice man, the beat reminds of the break in epmds so what you sayin’ :+1:

1 Like

Dope! Great drums

1 Like

Sounds awesome… love all the variations

1 Like