The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Thanks. Have to check that break :slightly_smiling_face:

After a bit of digging around I found out it’s a a break from soul 2 souls fair play… and btw it’s so wat cha sayin, clearly my queen’s English kicked in there…

1 Like

Two other beats I did today. Only headphone approved. Hope you dig it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think I already heard the piano of the 2nd track in a lofi hiphop track. What is the sample ?

Theses 2 beats are solid. Nice lofi feeling. Good job, I love it.

1 Like

Thank you. Glad you like them.
I‘m not sure about the 4th note hihat in the second beat :thinking:

Here is the sample. I don’t put in the midi effort to find rare ones :upside_down_face:

1 Like

@Doug inspired me to bring out the zoom st224 again. Love its sound forever, This is sampled through the st and made on the AR.

9 Likes

Nice! I finished that firmware, by the way. It’s on the Retrokits website now

1 Like

strong work! love the pitchdown

1 Like

Dope! Will try testing it on the OT next week, the AR is too cripled midi wise to make it work. You can’t send cc messages etc.

I saw you posted a video on it already, very curious to try it out, because velocity and mute groups sound amazing!

1 Like

Not so much my style but very musical and creative

1 Like

beautiful. So chill and nice melancholic

1 Like

Another new one. The sample has some kicks in it, so it was a bit hard to layer the drums.

5 Likes

You are on a roll, love it!

2 Likes

excellent!

2 Likes

thanks guys. Glad you like it :slight_smile:

I’m posting this around to a couple threads trying to get around a problem with sampler based music

I’m going through some growing pains in terms of sampling for production.

I’m on a 404, and now that I got the song chopped and set up for about 32 bars, I’m trying to figure out how to do the drums.

Do people just play them in all 32 bars, and if they make a mistake, they just start all over?

Or do they keep the song broken up in like 8 bar chunks and then stitch all together at the end? And what if you need to change course in the middle?

I would love to hear anyones take on this.

Thanks!

Fresh keys on that simple track! Transitions and fx on the following track are dope too man well done! Champloo vibes on the Dimitri track :beers:

1 Like

Don’t have experience on a 404 but if it’s like MPCs/Elektron drum(ish) machines, then either are acceptable it just depends on how you want to work on the track. The second way you mentioned would probably be a lot easier/faster in terms of completing a track, and the first method will allow for more “natural” variation if you’re recording unquantized and naturally playing.

1 Like

I’m trash at drumming, haha.

So the natural way would be bad.

I have to manage the parts in a different manner, and break up the parts.

I mentioned elsewhere that I should have a common element in each part to help tie everything together rhythmically.

I appreciate you!

1 Like

I’m just curious. How do you scrub though a song to add elements.

I may have mentioned, you can’t restart the play head or pause in sequence mode on the 404, since it’s developed into a resampling workflow.

Is the MPC able to just highlight sections of a sample to layer?