The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

Maybe you dont see the bad practice here.

2 Likes

if behringer would do a charity thing that would be fake as hell.
I hate big companies doing that. like nestle saving bees.
rich assholes saving something, great. it´s all marketing.
I avoid behringer products for many years now (20 or so)
there was hope they do better with that midas move and tc electronic, arp 2600, whatever.
at the end, we should ask ourselves how much behringer hate exists in the rest of our consumerism-life.

1 Like

Of course it’s marketing. But if it gives poor kids synths, the end result is good regardless of the motives.

The main purpose of any company is to make money. When multi-million dollar companies build a reputation as small boutique synth makers, that’s marketing too, and very good marketing if it makes people buy expensive stuff even though there are cheaper alternatives.

but he hasn’t…so its just marketing.
calus, hurtful marketing.

2 Likes

If he wouldn’t give the synths, it would be pretty bad marketing.

1 Like

which…it currently is. he painted himself into that corner.

3 Likes

if he does it now…yes, it will feel disingenuous. BUT…it will still benefit the children it was promised too. so it will be a good thing, but it won’t look as good as it could have.

adding: but it really shouldn’t be about looking good, over being charitable.

3 Likes

the video explains the argument:

Basically none of the charities they list say they know anything about Uli’s donation. So it seems likely that it was all a show and the facebook post is a bluff (and yet another falsehood).

What is the best emoji to indicate an understatement?

1 Like

What a shitty state of affairs. I have spent a fair amount on a bunch of the newer behringer analog stuff, though maybe half of it second hand, even defended them at times, and currently it makes me feel some guilt to have made such decisions, and cheapens the experience of using their equipment, delving deeper into behavior that has gone on with the company.

It’s so true that the biggest losers are behringer’s actual customers. B would be smart to up their public image and product development game, prioritising magnanimity and originality, for a solid period of time before any of my money goes their way again, though I suspect Uli might be somewhat tone deaf to such. One of the disadvantages of a one man band versus a board of directors with shareholders.

I was able to overlook some of their misdemeanours and gear copy faux passé like the K2 as it was exactly the format what I wanted. But the Arturia rip-off of is an absolute middle finger. I can’t in good faith even sell the B synths I have as it would feel like regifting unwanted presents with questionable karma. Sad as the equipment itself is punches way above its $ value.

Tdlr: Behringer lost a customer.

10 Likes

I’m like you. I won’t be buying a single Behringer product in the future. But it won’t stop me using my Behringer soundcard until it falls apart through old age/natural causes. As many have said here, there’s no need to beat yourself up over previous purchases. Just use them as they were intended to be used, otherwise it’s adding needless waste to the already quite long list of problems :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks for the wisdom @Craig. Its funny. All the Behringer et al analog overload has me re-visiting all my old digital synths again for something different, with an eye on solid midi spec and patch saving. I won’t add to the landfill problem, but having things packed up in boxes isn’t ideal Feng Shui. I will keep my X32 rack in use, as its indispensable.

Ultimately the only way to create change is voting with wallets, so time shall tell in that regard.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t feel bad about selling your unwanted synths. You’d be saving the new owner from putting money into Behringer’s very deep pockets. In fact, if more people did the same, demand for brand new Behringer products might decrease. :thinking:

I recently donated a barely used Behringer mixer to a friend that runs music workshops within the local community. I purchased the mixer in the early 2000s when I was unaware of the company’s questionable business practises. It felt really good to pass it on to a worthy cause.

Behringer appear to have decided that courting controversy and acting in an aggressive, troll-like way is good for business.

Whilst it’s a step in the right direction, I’m not convinced that pledging to donate 1.5K synths to charity is enough to win over those people that are appalled by their apparent lack of ethics.

If Behringer really want to put their money where their mouth is, they might consider becoming a Certified B Corporation and joining 1% for the Planet. I’m not aware of any music technology companies that have done so yet. Behringer could even be pioneers!

5 Likes

I can only imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if they did that.

:roll_eyes: Please stop being willfully obtuse. I’m not sure you derive pleasure from riling people up or will stand by Behringer hell or high water but your Tucker Carlson-like feigned ignorance schtick is tiiiirrrreeeedddd.

13 Likes

I just remembered that old Behringer marketing thing, where they said that his nickname at school was “the ear” - B gear used to have an ear logo on it.

The Ear :rofl:

His nickname now obviously refers to another part of human anatomy… :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

:joy:

Yeah, well it’s kind of tired to bash Behringer continuously as well. Elektronauts is probably the most hostile forum on the internet towards Behringer, and that’s cool, but I hope differing opinions are accepted in the future as well.

remember when korg and roland were convicted to huge fines because or a price cartel? it’s just capitalism, it’s a balancing act between maximizing profits and keeping up the illusion you’re not just a bunch of greedy assholes. all big companies are the same. elektron? putting out products unfinished, marketing them with features planned but not actually there for years etc. it’s all just business and all succesfull companies cut corners or do something morally questionable at some point.

behringer is just a bit more straight forward and cynical than the others, but they’re not really doing anything everyone else hasn’t done. i wouldn’t feel bad to buy their products, but i would probably feel bad if i was uli, hah.

I think most people on any forum agree that the Kirn and Arturia stuff is unacceptable behaviour, surely even you agree on that?

If you don’t then say why.

9 Likes

Elektron, Roland and Korg have never blatantly copied other in production products and bullied critics of their products and practices, that is the difference.

6 Likes