The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

totally.

deepmind - a fantastic, well priced synth.

the Kirn & suing forum member stuff etc - horrible, tone deaf, weird and wrong.

2 Likes

Kirn episode was weird turn of events, but it wasn’t some anti-semitic hate message or serious attack some portray it was. We are talking synths here, I don’t think it’s dead serious business so if the company releases a video depicting a reviewer as a synth snob, it’s not worth hating the company for eternity.

About Arturia, do you mean the recent Swing midi keyboard? I think the only thing wrong with that was the fact that Behringer version costs about as much as the Arturia.

All of these companies copy each other. Everyone uses Moog filter, Arturia uses Mutable code etc. As long as it’s not illegal, it only benefits the consumer so I’ll say go for it or change the laws before complaining.

well sure, neither did i ever say they had. the point was though, that behringer aren’t unique as a company for such conduct, even if they’re rare in that they make so many bad decisions that affect their image negatively. also elektron is probably my favourite synth company, but i can still see their flaws.

On this point I agree, however they do keep on providing reasons for people to do so, notice how no other gear manufacturers get so many negative comments?

Why do you think that is?

They can’t all be these mythical vintage synth collectors concerned that Behringer gear will affect their investments.

They can’t be people who are for some reason against affordable gear.

Hmm, what else could it be?

5 Likes

It’s because in Elektronauts, this negative behavior is tolerated. At most other forums (including Gearslutz), Behringer threads are pretty much hate-free these days.

Oh so criticising the behaviour is negative?

But the behaviour isn’t?

C’mon. Do better.

12 Likes

It’s not all black and white. All points have pretty much been made, Behringer continues to be Behringer. Many people still enjoy their gear and for good reason, and it’s more fun when discussion focus is in the gear, not if Behringer is evil.

I find this to be the same thing as people hating on EA for being so blatantly after money, as opposed to trying to stay true to the revered gaming code of conduct where games are art and not commercial products. From our viewpoint, behringer are bullies who steal from other, innovative companies but from their shareholders viewpoint they are probably the most succesful of all audio gear manufacturers. There’s always gonna be a behringer in every industry, the ones who make the most money with the least amount of effort (that said, behringer have actually made a huge effort in the past few years. getting those clones out for such a low sale price is no small feat).

“Yeah, but cheap synths”

Ok then.

2 Likes

that’s simply not true. check out Muffs for starters.

Furthermore, the amount of whataboutery going on here my man is just next level… I don’t quite get the passion to defend to this - most people broadly agree - awful behaviour by a company.

We are talking synths here, I don’t think it’s dead serious business so if the company releases a video depicting a reviewer as a synth snob, it’s not worth hating the company for eternity.

But it is worth defending them for eternity ? C’mon man, we’re just “talking synths” here.

Behringer have behaved awfully. Everyone knows it. Just accept it & move on.

3 Likes

yeah, it is actually.

6 Likes

apple makes expensive products and have done worse stunts in the past, yet it doesn’t affect their business in the slightest. it’s hard to be an ethical consumer in a late stage capitalist world.

1 Like

There’s nothing to talk about when it comes to the Swing - it’s a dead on copy, so we might as well talk about the original KeyStep. And to your second point, you’re on a thread that is literally discussing whether the company’s practices are good or bad - it’s right there in the title! And finally, why do you even care to defend Uli and his company in the first place? They don’t need your help. If you want to carry on using Behringer gear (as I said I will above) and buy more of it (which I won’t be doing) then carry on. Why the need to defend them so hard here? I think it’s pretty safe to say most of the ‘Behringer bashers’ (as you might put it) here find that bullying individuals using corporate wealth is appalling behaviour, so why can’t we criticise it?

3 Likes

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away I had some Behringer gear. Everybody who was serious about their gear bashed Behringer even back then when they only made mixers and headphone amps and such utilities. I thought that their gear were good value for money, never failed me and did their job okay. I had nothing against the company or their gear.

Only in the last couple of years when they’ve started expanding aggressively I’ve started avoiding Behringer gear and have gotten rid of everything by the Music Tribe. The reason for me wasn’t originally Uli’s behaviour or their shitty business conduct. It was that I felt that the world didn’t need anymore cheap plasticky crap from China. To me Behringer is the same as AliBaba. Their business model is selling crappy (but admittably cheap) copies of old out-of-print gear for people who don’t really care.

The question has always been about their negative ecological impact for me. Uli’s behaviour helps make it easier to steer clear of their business, but my personal reasons to not buy Music Tribe are somewhere else. In this space and time the world really doesn’t need anymore cheap knock offs of anything. Much less from a company owned by an egotistical dick.

11 Likes

Yeah? Depends how hard you try though right?

If you buy a new phone every year then you could easily do 50% better by waiting 2 years before buying your next new phone.

If you buy synths then you can buy them from companies without the worse practices.

So not too hard really, if you want to.

7 Likes

The BCR2000 was awesome.

1 Like

buddy, you’re both very right and completely wrong.

I’m not trying to portray myself as some eco saint, I’m just saying that no one holds a gun to our head, we can make better choices, because they are choices.

2 Likes

Some of the most active users in that forum happily use Behringer modules. There are even several that have full System 55:s built on Behringer.

I’m not so sure. I’d like to think that committing to the following would have positive results.

As B Corporations and leaders of this emerging economy, we believe:

• That we must be the change we seek in the world.
  • That all business ought to be conducted as if people and place mattered.
  • That, through their products, practices, and profits, businesses should aspire to do no harm and benefit all.
  • To do so requires that we act with the understanding that we are each dependent upon another and thus responsible for each other and future generations.

Source: bcorporation.net

Businesses that join 1% for the Planet commit to giving 1% of gross sales each year to our approved nonprofit partners. Members use the 1% for the Planet logo, collateral and brand messaging to best communicate their commitment to giving back to environmental causes.

Source: onepercentfortheplanet.org

I can’t imagine many who criticise Behringer’s ethics would have a problem with this.

Personally, I think it’s great that they have promised synths to worthy causes but it’s unfortunate that they haven’t yet followed through. It makes it look like an empty promise or publicity stunt when a company that makes millions of dollars, manufacturing and distributing thousands of synths to hundreds of global retailers (during a pandemic) can’t apply the same logic to getting a tiny fraction of those synths into the hands of their chosen charities. It might have been better to postpone the announcement of their charitable actions until such time as they had figured out the logistics.

1 Like