The ego, the id and the youtube reaction video

1 Like

I am seeing a lot of talk about reaction videos, a smattering of talk of a vague concept of the ego here and there, but nothing after the initial mention of the id after the encyclopedia quote introducing the op.

this is so disappointing to find here on one of my favorite depth analysis psychotherapy forums :frowning:

3 Likes

the id would require mention of all things which gets posts flagged and erased. I’m more committed to edgy concepts than youtubers with raging … boaters.

1 Like

Since the YouTube push to have people pull ridiculous faces fiasco, I’ve employed a simple filtering algorithm…I don’t watch any videos whose thumbnails or titles include:

• Pulling the aforementioned stupid face

• Highlighted areas of the thumbnail (often not circling anything)

• Large arrows on the thumbnail (typically not pointing to anything relevant)

• Click bait words and phrases. “I bought THIS synth, you’ll never guess WHAT HAPPENED NEXT”…“Don’t buy ‘X’ until you watch THIS”. “You’ve been playing it WRONG…watch this to find out WHY”

This meant ignoring a lot of the synth-fluencers videos and, to be honest, once they transgressed I never went back, even if they stopped such insulting, undignified behaviour.

Despite avoiding this sort of content for close to two years, it’s getting harder to find content fed to me by the YouTube algorithm that isn’t full of this discreditable, time wasting garbage.
Does it stop if you subscribe?!!

4 Likes

you bring up a fantastic point - how arrogant is it to tell the faceless masses they’ve been doing something wrong and make a pooty face while touching your forehead or pinching your eyebrows. Is this the “neg” culture where people are supposed to be drawn in by an insult? oh this guy is legit, his backhanded remark in times new roman with a picture of his scrunched up face really got me off my ass and now I’m going to subscribe for more ass-hattery to fund his chicklet sized revenue share and vst plug-in habit.

I think regardless of how I may or may not be targeted by the wrong algorithms of 16 year olds hearing kesha for the first time reaction videos, I have made the right decision by not handing over my personal information to youtube beyond the general mills cereal factory broadcast that my simply being online projects. I mean in this day and age it is so hard to not transmit any data, you have to literally be all hack the planet and shit. And I am not that guy. Save your Guy Fawkes or Guy Fiori or Guy Pierce or Guy Richie mask for the next guy, I’m trying to learn how to trigless trig a hot buttered pancake so that I can eat without getting my keys sticky.

or something.

2 Likes

It certainly messes with my ego. I get so jealous thinking these jerks are making a comfortable life doing these quasi ASMR video reactions. I mean come on! I’m way more entertaining than they are…right?

1 Like

you are the pride of arizona, doing your part to keep it shitty, daily

1 Like

:sob:

1 Like

The genre peaked where it started: with 2G1C reaction videos.

I’m not touching that with a 10 foot cup.

is mst3k reaction genre? or is that another genre altogether? I can’t put that in the same box

2 Likes

It’s MANOS, the HANDS OF FATE :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

If mst3k is in the reaction genre then so are Statler and Waldorf

2 Likes

that is heckler genre, I’ve just coined it.

1 Like

I love to imagine YouTubers 30 years from now, showing their grandkids the faces they pulled in their thumbnails.

1 Like

yes!

FRAMED ABOVE THE FIREPLACE!!

CoinCore

1 Like

that’s arcarde game theme song genre

1 Like

Whenever I see some video’s landing page still with the dude looking like he’s going to bite the piece of gear my soul swallows a little bit of its own vomit. Thankfully there are still tasteful people out there like the resident turtorialist Elektro-Mech who doesn’t stoop anywhere close to such tackiness.

1 Like

I’ve never seen Dave, Eaves or Miles be anything but classy or humorous. Even Max Marco always acted only with class and Muscles.

3 Likes

Not sure if you’ve met many influencers in person but every time I have (knowingly and not synth related) they are rather shy and it felt like they were unable to have a face to face conversation. I would guess that the non-sensationalist turtoralists, such as the ones you’ve mentioned, are likely the opposite of that. It seems like those who invest the most in some constructed online personality are doing so out of an insecurity and understanding as much should make a person be a bit more understanding but…it’s hard as fuck most times.