The Guitar Thread

I plan I getting some samples posted once i figure out a tone set I like with the cab modeler. Having a ton of fun exploring all of the different models and settings.

It basically came down to getting the Torpedo or the UA OX. My buddy has the OX and it sounds great, but REQUIRES a wifi connection (which is notoriously terribly integrated) to edit anything on it. With the torpedo its basically plug in and play.

A few things that I didnt understand about the Torpedo that i now do:

There are 2 direct outs.

The first is a TRS line out. This is the line level signal that one would take from the load box and then go into an audio interface. It is the direct dry loaded signal coming from the amp. This is also the output you use if you want to use their “Wall of Sound” cab sim plug in.

The second is is the XLR output, and is called “Speaker Sim DI”. It is an active output and as such requires either 48v phantom or 9v AC adapter connection. This is the single model onboard analog cab sim (the model cannot be changed on my model). It comes out at mic level (which is where i got confused). It is expecting to be plugged into a mixers mic input with its pre-amp boosting the signal up to recordable level. If you do not connect this XLR output to a pre-amp it will be extremely quiet.

Newcomer : Blackhole. Users here ? Seems like I’ll prefer it to Space, as I was mainly using Blackhole algorithm.

7 Likes

Here’s a couple from me … live at the Sound festival playing table top Moog guitar:

And a recent work in progress (working on this for an upcoming show at Cafe Oto in London):

3 Likes

I have one of these plugged into my Boogie MkIII for home practice and recording. Absolutely wails at bedroom levels, and the direct output makes recording the Boogie into a DAW super simple - just add a virtual cab and it’s done.

1 Like

It is super nice to be able to squeeze all the tasty tube amp things that only come out when cranked at a output volume that doesn’t take the paint off the walls :joy:

1 Like

What is the scale length of this guitar? It has 20 frets, is it like a fender mustang? or smaller like the fernandes that had the speaker built in?

Edit: I guess it’s probably no longer relevant to call a fender mustang truly short scale, it would probably be better to ask if it is like the early musicmaster with the 22.5 inch (571.5mm) scale length?

There were 22.5 inch mustangs with an A neck as special order I think, but there are too many new mustangs on the market for my point to be conveyed properly…

1 Like

This gives an idea of the size.
The scale is the same as a Guitalele. (3/4)

Really good sound, fit in a vest internal pocket !
http://www.lapstick.com/travel-guitar.php

4 Likes

this is fun, much smaller than I even thought! I had some expectation of a very short scale because the fretboard looks so wide from the image, now I know why

2 Likes

Guitalele seems big close to it (almost same scale).

2 Likes

do you remember these?

4 Likes

Didn’t know. Speakers in ?

1 Like

Can anybody recommend a guitar rack for 4 guitars that handles both acoustic and electric and won’t ruin a nitrocellulose finish?

I think UA is getting ready to release an updated version of the OX, so if you’re looking to buy, you might want to wait till it’s out.

I recently picked up a Two Notes Captor X, and have been very happy with it so far. I did a lot of reading/comparing on the OX/Captor X, and from that I went with the Captor X.

1 Like

I went back and forth between the captor and the captor X torpedo models. As cool as having the abilities to change out the analog cab model (as well as using the app) and the simultaneous audio outputs AND the headphone jack, I really couldnt justify more than 2x the price for the X model for what I am using it for. I mainly use the line out with wall of sound to record or I use it as an attenuator for my bigger cabs.

I did head about the OX update, but again its very costly and I have been blown away by the cab models in wall of sound. I bought a bunch of additional ones and I love the app interface. Its way deeper and feature rich than i expected

1 Like

When I realized that turning up the master volume actually sounded like just that I became sold on modeling. Especially with open back studio monitor headphones.

1 Like

Some riffing today to test recording miked Uberschall amp to Zoom L12 mixer recorder.

I dialed in my miked amp to record riffs for use later in songs.

1 Like

I’m in amp heaven!

Bought a Princeton Reverb 64 hand wired Bstock. Sounded great but missed a more tweed driven sound…. Bought another Bstock, but this time a Milkman Half Pint 5w.

Assumed I’d be sending one or the other back but I just can’t do it. They compliment each other so well. Milkman is an angry little thing, Princeton is a soulful beauty. Both have great reverb and trem. PR64 is a 10” and Milkman a 12” - really think this helps them as a pair.

Running a Boss RE-202 in front at the moment. It’s the sound in my head that I’ve never managed to get! I’m not even using any preamp or drive pedals.

12 Likes

currently experiencing tube envy… don’t mind me.

1 Like

Nice! Tweed and Fender glassy cleans (Princeton, etc) are my favorite guitar amp sounds as well. I also love that you have reverb and trem built into both of those.

There is something lovely about just plugging into a tube amp, even in this day of modelers being so good.

Are you planning to mic those up for recording?

I have a Tweed Champ, and there’s nothing like plugging in and playing…

… until it comes to recording! Modelers every time for this. I like the Strymon Iridium.

1 Like